Help › Forums

Re: Snow Leopard - now game is unplayable - help please

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 4 2013 6:58 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Thu, May 2 2013 6:43 PM

I recently upgraded my OS and now the game is unplayable.  I used to have a somewhat smooth meter with Firefox, but now the thing is incredibly jumpy.  I tried on chrome, maxthon and safari and pretty much the same results.  The only one that even remotely runs moderately effective (and by that I mean still NFG) is safari.  

I cleared all the caches multiple times, etc.  I'm not a noob and have been playing for many years.  I'm at wits end.  Any help (suggestions preferably from mac users) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

• Reaytj
    114 Posts
    Thu, May 2 2013 7:07 PM

callawayjay:

I recently upgraded my OS and now the game is unplayable.  I used to have a somewhat smooth meter with Firefox, but now the thing is incredibly jumpy.  I tried on chrome, maxthon and safari and pretty much the same results.  The only one that even remotely runs moderately effective (and by that I mean still NFG) is safari.  

I cleared all the caches multiple times, etc.  I'm not a noob and have been playing for many years.  I'm at wits end.  Any help (suggestions preferably from mac users) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

hey jay...my  Mac OS system is 10.8.3....i have the latest version of flash on my system. I play safari as my browser & all is good....Stick with safari, & just make sure your flash is up to date.....good luck

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, May 3 2013 8:05 AM

Here's a copy of a post I made a few weeks ago for Mac users. Flash has been updated since my post.

If you're going to use Safari do a COMPLETE UNINSTALL of Shockwave and then complete new install of FLASH only.

I have this posted in Game Tips but thought it may need to be here too.

Here's a tip for Mac users running Snow Leopard 10.6.x and up.

Go to: Hard Drive > Application > Utilities > Java Preferences. Deselect both versions (32 and 64 bit) of Java SE 6. Also deselect Enable applet plug-in and Web Start Applications.

I run Safari with WGT and always have. Before upgrading to 10.6 my meter was silky minus the few issues in multiplayer mode. Since upgrading a couple months ago it's been horrible. These tweaks have completely smoothed it back out.

In Safari > Preferences > Security > Deselect Enable Java and Block pop-up windows. Leave everything else selected.

I use Safari instead of Firefox only because Safari doesn't use the entire Shockwave plugin to run WGT. Shockwave is more bloated than the stand alone Flash player so it takes up more computer space. Activity Monitor confirms this.  Safari only uses the Flash player plugin. If using Safari you should be using Flash Player version 11.5.502.149

If you use both Firefox and Safari for different sites and you have updated the latest version of Shockwave for Firefox then your Safari Flash Player version will be updated to 11.5.502.146.

You can go here  to check.

Mac users also need to launch Activity Monitor in your Applications Folder > Utilities > Activity Monitor. Make sure you do NOT have a process running names java. If you do highlight it and Quit Process. It's a java malware and it's SUCKING your bandwidth.

For more on java and Macs: Google > Java Macintosh. Java is the devil in disguise.

I think that's all. I had this all typed out with a lot more info a few moments ago and quit safari for a second to check a setting and forgot to copy what I had typed. If I see I'm missing something I'll edit later.

Darin

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Fri, May 3 2013 6:13 PM

Thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated.

Darin, I did all the things you suggested, however, when I tried to load the wgt page, nothing worked, meaning, my profile was not loaded, the "play now" button wasn't even on the page.

Yikes!  Any suggestions?

• WakeIsland
    213 Posts
    Fri, May 3 2013 6:38 PM

Mine disappeared also, running IE9 but I can get it on the other options up top, on all but when I start the game or when I click on my profile.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, May 3 2013 6:59 PM

I agree with Darsum. Sounds like a Flash problem.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, May 3 2013 7:55 PM

In your finder search for Shockwave. If you still have the uninstaller, uninstall it. Uninstall EVERYTHING related to shockwave.

Then do a Flash search. If you still have the uninstaller, uninstall it. Uninstall EVERYTHING related to flash.

Then click on the Apple logo in upper left and release at software update. Make sure nothing needs updated. Safari just came out with an update but I can't remember which Mac I was on when I did it. 

If all is good and you need no updates from Apple go here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

And download the latest version of flash. Which is 11.7.700.169.

That should do it.

I'm not sure what Mac you're on but since I finally figured out what was going on (besides the bad ram I had in one computer) my meter has been silky smooth. However, there is an issue every now and then. The ball with be covered by a blue box and you won't be able to move the spin dot.. You can still hit as normal and it'll clear the next screen reload. If you do need to adjust spin you're gonna have to reload the game client window and continue you're game. I still haven't figured that one out. WGT told me to try another browser but the meter in Firefox is horrible, Camino has a delayed mouse click. I'm not interested in downloading a bunch of browsers just to combat an annoyance I can clear with a reload.

Hope that helps

Darin

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Sat, May 4 2013 7:15 AM

Thank you very much Darin.  I got rid of the shockwave and unistalled the garbage flash that was on there.  I have the newest version now.  While the meter is better now, is still seems a tad skittishy every now and then.  May I ask what your download speed is? I'm trying to eliminate all the variables.

I had also noticed since switching back to Safari from Firefox the blue square over the ball.  You are right, you can get away with it on some shots, but others you need to restart the game.

• stevietwotimes
    1,327 Posts
    Sat, May 4 2013 10:14 AM

i use firefox on my mac and was having problems but since i downloaded flashblock add-on the meter has been better.....it just uses the flash you need to play the game and blanks everything else out.....for some reason playing in safari was a nightmare,tried all different browsers but firefox was the best one for me...

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Sat, May 4 2013 11:40 AM

callawayjay:

Thank you very much Darin.  I got rid of the shockwave and unistalled the garbage flash that was on there.  I have the newest version now.  While the meter is better now, is still seems a tad skittishy every now and then.  May I ask what your download speed is? I'm trying to eliminate all the variables.

I had also noticed since switching back to Safari from Firefox the blue square over the ball.  You are right, you can get away with it on some shots, but others you need to restart the game.

We have Cox 20mb down and 15 up wiyh 4 devices connected at a time usually. at work I have dual T1 which is slower than home. i just bought a new imac 3.1ghz quad core i7 for home and the meter is silk. Unreal how good it is. Our old imac was a 2ghz dual core i5. It's good too but the i7 processor blows it away. But the new imac has16gb of ram though compared to 4 on the old one.

What system do you have? Look under the Apple menu about this mac. List how much ram you have too.

• PAGES
RSS