Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New Courses = Nothing from WGT?

Fri, Dec 17 2010 8:38 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:10 AM

This is getting silly now. Players have moaned in the past about a lack of courses. There are now 4 stroke play courses and 11 CTTH courses and we can no longer moan. When I came here there was 9 holes and 3 (I think) CTTHs. Good job on the improvements.

'But wait! 11 CTTHs courses you say!?' I hear you saying. Yes, 11. But it seems that WGT doesn't like to talk about 3 of them.

Firstly, there was the Pebble Beach CTTH. I'll let WGT get away with this one, due to the licensing issues that came with it.

Then came the KLM Open at Hilversumsche. WGT didn't once actually put an ad up for this on WGT, and at no point did WGT actually mention that this competition even existed. Now that competition is closed, and the prizes given out (well, kinda given out. Given out all wrong mind). This course can NO LONGER BE PLAYED. C'mon WGT, you quite clearly have the license for this course. Make it a new CTTH course!

Now, there's today, and Celtic Manor. Yes, THAT Celtic Manor, the course for this year's Ryder Cup. There is now a CTTH for this course, and can be played RIGHT NOW. Luckily, WGT actually put up ads for this one to tell us. Thanks for that. I think. But please, can we have an official announcement of this course, so it actually looks like you know what you are doing?

I welcome any more players comments to this growing silliness, as well as any comments from WGT staff. C'mon Sky, you know you want to say something.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:27 AM

Ellis, when did you get your full name back?!  Did I miss something?

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 11:49 AM

I've had it back about a week now, thanks to Sky.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I've got to give it to you WGT. You've gone a made a fool of me by making a news post about the new course. But still nothing about the KLM Open?

• andrewp7
    127 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:38 PM

EllisSpice:

I've had it back about a week now, thanks to Sky.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I've got to give it to you WGT. You've gone a made a fool of me by making a news post about the new course. But still nothing about the KLM Open?

or honoring your terms and conditions on the KLM open competition

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:54 PM

Yeah theres 11 ctth courses but i want some more stroke play courses. I personally HATE ctth challenges. I know it's my own fault but.... If you can create the ctth courses shouldnt it be very easy to quickly add it as a stroke play course. just curious

• panzer32
    493 Posts
    Wed, Sep 15 2010 9:12 PM

stencil:

If you can create the ctth courses shouldnt it be very easy to quickly add it as a stroke play course. just curious

Actually, no, its not.  Think of the number of camera angles required for one CTTH hole.  4, maybe 5?  Now think of the camera angles required for a stroke play hole - I don't think I could count the number required!  Probably at least several hundred.  Also they probably don't model the terrain in the same way as they do for stroke play (only detailed mesh around green?)

• BrianCharrette
    2 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 1:27 AM
    i think regardless of how many angles that are needed... wgt should work on making more stroke hole courses, or just converting the ctth courses into stroke play.. simply put, i have been an avid user for a while now and i am desperate for new stroke play to play and enjoy with friends.. i really dont enjoy the ctth challenges.. WGT can u pleeeease come out with more stroke hole courses?
  • cozmozogg
    167 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 8:39 AM

has anyone heard when a new stroke play course is coming out, or if they are even working on 1 (or more)?

• TinCup1956
    451 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 8:00 PM

I agree 100 %. I recently placed (if I remember correctly 35 out of 70) in the last KLM Open. I have never received my free credits. This tournament would have not been available to me if I hadn't seen the score history of another WGT player (Bolloxin Bruges). I too, believe this should either be made a permanent CTTH course. I would even welcome at least a nice hole stroke play. Very nice scenic course.

• DuffyWaldorf
    286 Posts
    Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:17 PM

News

• USGA Forms Long-term Relationship with World Golf Tour

17 Mar 2010

SAN FRANCISCO (March 17, 2010) – The United States Golf Association today announced that it has entered into a long-term relationship with online high-definition golf destination World Golf Tour (WGT), putting golf on the forefront of technology and marketing innovation in the sports industry.

In this relationship, the USGA recognizes WGT as the exclusive platform provider for its virtual golf championships. Each year, the USGA and WGT will co-host a Virtual USGA Championship, enabling fans to experience "the toughest test in golf" in real time via the USGA Web site, where an official champion will be crowned. Last year's winner, Wayne Stopak, won a trip to the 2010 U.S. Open as a guest of the USGA.

In 2009, the USGA and WGT co-hosted the inaugural Virtual U.S. Open, which attracted hundreds of thousands of players from more than 180 countries. It also helped drive record visits to USOPEN.com, which provides real-time scoring updates, exclusive live video coverage and a multitude of other features designed to bring the U.S. Open alive online.

"Last year's Virtual U.S. Open exceeded expectations on all fronts: fan engagement, fan feedback, Web traffic to USOPEN.com and sponsorship involvement," said Alex Withers, the USGA's managing director of digital media. "Our partnership with World Golf Tour not only allows fans to get a greater understanding of the world-class courses hosting our national championships, but it also provides our sponsors with exposure to a highly engaged audience of golfers."

Following the success of the Virtual U.S. Open in 2009, WGT will host the 2010 USGA Virtual Championship at Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club, which has hosted 14 USGA championships and will host another in 2010, the U.S. Women's Open. The 2010 USGA Virtual Championship will be available to fans at www.usga.org and via the championship Web site at www.uswomensopen.com.

In addition to the USGA Virtual Championship, WGT will develop a tribute to historic moments in golf which took place at Pebble Beach. WGT and the USGA will recreate famous shots made during previous U.S. Opens hosted at Pebble Beach so that fans can experience and truly understand the skill involved. These will be featured in the "Course" section on USOPEN.com.

"This partnership validates WGT as the leader in integrating virtual sports with live sporting events, providing strong real-world value to sports organizations and their sponsors," said YuChiang Cheng, CEO of WGT. "From day one, we set out to bring high-quality virtual golf to the masses and grow the game of golf. It‘s an honor to have the USGA look to us to bring golf's most challenging courses to the world for enjoyment."

SO...each year when the US Open comes around ,  what happens?  We get a new course.   BPB '09 ,  Oakmont '10 (went with the ladies this year)   2011...yup Congressional is on it's way

Happy Golfing

Joe

ps Yes I see the op is back in Sept, with 1 recent post added to it. That's why i figured it would be fine to post even older news and combine it with some more recent info.
  • PAGES
RSS