Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Which view counts?

Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:44 AM (22 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 6:24 AM

Would someone please explain how you do this?

Aiming in high wind at KIA13-shot view shows slight right-to-left wind angle.

Note the wind direction in the zoom mode....

I used the zoom view to aim, hitting a full 60W (Satin 77 yd) and the shot acted like the shot view was what I should have used because this is where the dinged hit landed...

Hole high 19 ft to the right. The wind direction from this spot supports the zoom mode direction but the result says use the shot view. 

OK, everybody-weigh in and tell me how you do it because I'm not sure exactly what to trust now. I'm guessing the zoom view is not what to use because by the looks of it the angle the zoom was shot from is to the actual left of the golfer.

Tx,

YJ

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:07 AM

YJ,

What I think you may be missing out on is the 'angle' of the shot aim indicator (the blue trace when you are aiming).  Remember that this is trying to simulate a 3D space with 2D pictures so when you go to the zoom mode, you'll find that a lot of the time the shot aim indicator appears to be coming in from a different angle.  I always (always always) play the wind with respect to that blue trace!  Not with respect to the golfer or the 2D view.

I hope this helps,

Lee

• PRIESTESS
    10,705 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:26 AM

wow  please tell me how you saved them game pictures..

• panzer32
    493 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:30 AM

just hit print screen button and paste image and save, I imagine

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:52 AM

Yes, exactly. I resize them through MS Picture Manager to web size. What is tricky is getting them into a post. Faterson hooked us up with that answer a while back. Search the forum for a great primer on changing and inserting stuff.

You will need this service:   http://imageshack.us/

Upload your pic, resize it there if you want, then copy the location they give you into your post using the "insert media" button above.

Now, about the wind............

YJ

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:01 AM

Lee,

As I'm understanding it then, when aiming you place the arc at the point you want the ball to go towards having adjusted for direction based on the pin as the starting point and keeping the yardage constant?

In my example above the hole was 88 yds away. When I aimed to adjust for the wind I aimed at a point 88 yds away to the right of the pin at what I thought a 21 mph r-to-l wind would push it from. Now-when I am doing this should I use the actual slight r-to-l that I see from the fairway view? 

YJ

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:10 AM

The fairway view in this example is 'truer' than the zoom view, so yes.  BUT the angle of the aiming arc is such that it is not at 12 o'clock in relation to the wind shown.  This is where I take into account the angle of the arc to figure where I should place my aim.  And yes, I always try to keep the yardage of the aiming arc the same as the distance to the hole.  In my estimation of the pictures you have above, you took too much aim to the right based on that wind.  Plus this hole has always played a little strange (longer than it should especially when using backspin) so that may be why you ended up where you did.

*edit* Did you use backspin on that 60 degree wedge?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:22 AM

I think I have it. Had I used he fairway angle I would have aimed way left of where I was. I was thinking right angle to the target line because of crosswind when it actually should have been treated as an angled tailwind. 

This makes sense because I hit the wedge with full topspin and it got to the 88 yds. My 77 yd wedge with a 21mph help and topspin was the right calc. The direction was off by my aiming in the zoom view. Had I been thinking right the wedge never would have made it because you're not getting distance help from a crosswind.

LOL-in the end the ball went right where I aimed it. Just goes to show you the ball goes where you hit it!

Tx Lee,

YJ

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:31 AM

But YankeeJim... did you make the 19' putt?!  Oh, and go Yankees!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:57 AM

LOL-I knew it-somebody had to ask!  I should have posted the result-my basic lip-out putt that i'm doing way too often on those fast greens.

YJ

RSS