Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Widescreen support

Sat, Jan 9 2010 5:51 AM (7 replies)
  • ottar3
    13 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:26 PM

I think that support for widescreen monitors would be an excellent thing to add.  I realize that the current photos are probably not made for this, but for future courses, keep this in mind.

Also, a fullscreen mode would also be great, not just by maximizing the window but by actually making it fullscreen like a real game.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:32 PM

ottar3:
    Also, a fullscreen mode would also be great, not just by maximizing the window but by actually making it fullscreen like a real game.

Full-screen already is available, although it seems to be buggy. After you already launch a round, the game usually refuses to switch into true full-screen, and the window can only be maximized. But if you do the full-screen switch as soon as you launch the game pop-up window, this usually succeeds. You gotta do it pretty quickly, though. I'm saying this based on experience with Chrome. (Again, this is something that TWO does better: you can effortlessly switch between full-screen and windowed mode, back and forth, at any time during a TWO round.)

Wide-screen support would be nice as well.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 12:15 AM

As for the Fullscreen operation, then at least for Firefox running on Linux you can use the F11 key or the menu option Main->View->Fullscreen Mode . For me it makes entire screen being occupied by a flash widget. Moreover, on Linux you can switch between different screen resolutions preserving original virtual desktop size, e.g. playing the game at the 1024/768 resolution having flash operating at 1280/960 (you can pan within the virtual desktop with your mouse cursor).

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 5:47 AM

WojciechMigda:
    As for the Fullscreen operation, then at least for Firefox running on Linux you can use the F11 key or the menu option Main->View->Fullscreen Mode.

I use the same F11 key in Chrome on Windows, but as mentioned, this only works for a short time after you launch the game pop-up window. If I forget to switch to full-screen then, and launch a round, it's too late to switch to full screen then, and I can only maximize the window.

TWO evidently went a different path: they assigned a dedicated keyboard shortcut to the Full Screen mode, namely F2. You can press F2 as many times in TWO as you want, and the switch to Full Screen always works. Perhaps if WGT assign a dedicated keyboard shortcut to full-screen as well, instead of relying on the browser's default keyboard shortcut (F11), this would function more reliably here.

As to wide-screen support on TWO, TWO offers it, but it does not work reliably. On smaller resolutions, the outer edge of the picture is cut off (say, a tiny bit of the left-most letter in the chat window), while on higher resolutions, quite a chunk of the picture and the overhead mini-map is missing. Perhaps this is also related to the computer's graphics card; don't know. On WGT.com, we have no wide-screen support as yet, but at least the full picture is always shown in full-screen mode.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 5:53 AM

Faterson:
    If I forget to switch to full-screen then, and launch a round, it's too late to switch to full screen then, and I can only maximize the window.

I use a direct link: http://www.wgt.com/gameclient.aspx

It opens in a fully-equipped browser window, with menus and stuff. Then either of the full screen enabling methods are at hand.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:20 AM

Dziękuję, Wojciech. Been using the direct link, off and on, for months, but it never occurred to me that that was a way to ensure the full-screen controls would always be available.    Ah, those pesky popup windows!

• ottar3
    13 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 12:36 PM

Thanks, I did not know about the F11, but widescreen would still be nice.

• usw1748
    14 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 5:51 AM
    I agree with you on the widescreen support but also as you stated there needs to be full screen resolution that is the same as small screen. It just stretches the graphics. That is not full screen in my opinion.
RSS