Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hooking and Slicing

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:49 PM (6 replies)
  • Sunfyre7896
    51 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 8:25 PM

Is there no way to hook or slice the ball on purpose for those doglegs? I've tried hitting it early and all it does is duff the shot or pull it to the left. I don't see a way to actually curve the ball.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:20 AM

Sunfyre7896:

Is there no way to hook or slice the ball on purpose for those doglegs? I've tried hitting it early and all it does is duff the shot or pull it to the left. I don't see a way to actually curve the ball.

hi

yes there is but it's risky and requires alot of practice. you can do it by properly aiming and hitting late or early with full bs. you also need helping wind.

-wgticon

• Sunfyre7896
    51 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:56 PM

So do you hit it early or late in the bright blue, the lighter blue, or the black?

I think if you hit that early or late (black areas), that it just duffs it completely and it only goes like 20 yards off the tee. The light blue areas is what I'm thinking, but maybe it's just the edge of the darker, brighter blue that you usually hit in. 

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:06 PM

Just try these things. There's no rush.

• labordayk
    389 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2012 1:01 AM

Sunfyre7896:

I think if you hit that early or late (black areas), that it just duffs it completely...

Pretty much.  I go by the lines rather than the colors.  There are 5 lines after the Zero Power line when using a Driver.  The middle line of those 5 is what we all call the Ding.  I've proposed similar names for the other 4 - the line right before the Ding, I call the Dang; the line right after the Ding, I call the Dong; and the lines before the Dang and after the Dong are the Dung lines.  So, that would look something like this -

Dung-------Dang----Ding----Dong-------Dung

^----------safe range----------^

It's safe to click from right between the Dung and the Dang to right between the Dong and the Dung, with only a loss of perhaps 5 or 10 yards of distance if you don't click on the Ding.

But if you click on or near the Dung lines, you are likely to have a duff with severe loss of yardage.

Where to click in this usable range and offsetting the Aim Marker for proper direction is more of an art, however, and while I have a concrete method of achieving it, it would be rather hard to explain in any really usable terms.  So, trial and error is the best way to develop your own technique for what I like to call "playing outside the lines".

I explain my method in a little more detail in this thread on the subject -

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/78616/495710.aspx#495710

• Sunfyre7896
    51 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 9:57 AM

Thanks for that. I was wondering as to how far you can click outside of the brighter blue areas (Inside the Dang/Dong). I tried it once just inside the Dang and it was alright. However, I noticed that it still really doesn't curve it much, just a hair. At least my shot did. Maybe if you hit on the darker blue outside of the Dang/Dong, it will curve a bit more. It still helped me on my shot, it just didn't curve if that was what I had required then.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:49 PM

If you want the ball to curve, you have aim to the opposite of where you want the ball to go, then dang on the side where you do want the ball to go. Aim way right, pull the trigger way early, and you get a draw. The ball "wants" to go where you aimed, but gets ends up going toward where you danged it.

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=c91af322-9a60-4cd1-889d-9fe90082b043

RSS