Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Virtual notebook?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 2 2010 2:17 PM (9 replies)
  • mjr76ks0005
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 4:32 AM

What about some type of virtual notebook that would follow your account and the course that your on.  Where you could click a button while in game and make notes about a certain hole, green, fairways. 

Then you could pull that up maybe next time you play hat course, hole and see " ok, this fairway rolls real hard to the right on tee shot, or watch out for this green my wedge wont stick the shot so play it short for a roll off"

I play online poker also that allows a sort of "player notes" section.  the really cool thing is then when you happen to be playing that person again a red tick mark of sorts pops up next to his name letting you know you have previous notes about that player.  Any reason why you couldnt change that from a "player" to a "golf hole"?

They could set it up so there was a small icon or alert that shows up under the hole info on the top right when you get to a hole that you have put previous info or notes on as to help your play.

Just a thouht, but would be a great addition for us memory challenged people, lol.

Thanks, cya all out there,  Mjr76ks0005

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 4:18 PM

This is a much needed addition, and has been suggested before. I would love to see a notes options that could be tied to specific holes as well as specific players, that would automatically show the corresponding notes based on the current course/hole/and competition.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 4:26 PM

Two simple words can solve this issue.

Pencil.

Paper.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 6:00 PM

I like this idea as well rather than having to store your own notes all over the place. 

The fact that a little icon would come up on each hole to alert you about prior notes would be awesome, but it would probably also be asking too much if you consider how many people are on this site, and how much extra memory the note feature would use up. 

We can dream though.....

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 6:26 PM

You could store it in your computer.   Though it's easier if you have 2 monitors, you can just use a spreadsheet (or word, notepad, whatever works) for notes,  and just minimize/maximize when needed.

• bullpin
    630 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 7:02 PM

This sounds like a good idea, but its not really needed. Until that is set up, you can always use pencil and paper, or the 'notepad' already provided on your computer.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2010 3:09 PM

What is being suggested here is something along the lines of the players notes feature used in software such as FullTiltPoker.com's poker gaming software. If ou play against a player and learn something about his betting or bluffing habits, for instance, you make a player note associated with that player. The next time you play against that person, a little indicator shows that there are notes you entered on him or her, and a simple click shows you the notes, and allows you to modify them if desired.

This would be way to cumbersome for a user to deploy at home using a pen and paper or a non-wgt piece of software (notepad / excel, etc). I would love to see notes options for players, courses, and specific holes and would get a lot of great use out of them.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:13 PM

Using Excel is not cumbersome at all VHL!  I use Excel to keep notes on WGT friends as well as specific notes on specific notes.  Nice to be able to recall a real first name when I need it, or what state/country that friend lives in.  (I'm terrible with names and places)

Keeping Excel open in a window behind the game client presents no problems for me.  I doesn't use much memory or CPU (its open as I type this and using a piddling 25K of memory and 0 CPU time). Switching between the game client and Excel  is a breeze using either the task bar or if I'm on the reduced screen game client a click of the mouse on the proper window.

Both of the images below are compressed, just right click on the image and select View image to see the full sized image.

Here a screen shot of my Friends info.  Its a simple Contact List format with room for adding notes.  Each friend has its own tab at the bottom.  I use macros to create new worksheets, name the worksheet with the friends name, and sort the sheets alphabetically. I hope WGTAlex doesn't mind being used as the example.

If you're interested in playing with it there's a link and instructions on getting a template of this spreadsheet for yourself on my profile blog.

For course notes, I have a separate spreadsheet for the front and back nine of both stroke play courses, most sets of tees.  And a separate spreadsheet for all the CTTH challenges.  Each hole has its own tab.  The notes I keep can be specific results of shots for specific conditions. And I can put notes for what to hit for specific spots that I typically can find myself. Like the front bunker on BP #5 for example.  Easier to show you an example from my notes on Kiawah Back9 Gold tees, hole #17:

As I move from hole to hole I merely click the lower tab on the spreadsheet to access my notes for that hole.  If I hit a good shot I can enter conditions, all the shot parameters used and the result.  I even have included some screen shots showing how a particularly common but tough putt breaks.

This works well for me and perhaps gives others ideas on how they can keep their notes organized.

If sometime down the road WGT implements notes on players, then I may switch.  Notes on courses and holes though would be a different story.  My needs for hole notes are too varied and specific to expect WGT to meet them.

Right now I have what I need.  I'd rather see WGT working on new courses and fixes to problems than implementing notes on players and courses.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:36 PM

Thanks andyson,

I have considered something like this too, and love the functionality that Excel offers for this. BUT, lol - I think it would be a much more user friendly addition to this game, even to the point that when you enter a round, the notes (if any) for the specific players you are playing against are automatically generated and available for the players in that specific game. Same for the course, hole#, ect.

Thanks for the tip though, and I will look in to the tips via the links you supplied. And by the way, I love the 'Classified Top Secret' water-mark!

And I agree, there are much more pressing suggestions that I would rather see being addressed right now as well, but I'd LOVE to see it down the road (fairway?)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 2:17 PM

Wow Andy! That's really slick!

I've started using "Spiral Ruled Index Cards". Cheapo Staples brand. I put labeled plastic tabs around the edges so I can flip to a certain club's info quickly and easily. It's a chore writing this stuff out longhand, but it's much better than a bunch of notes on little pieces of paper. Mine were getting all dog-eared and smudged. The cards will hold-up alot longer, but those excel spreadsheets are really nice and easy to organize and edit.

I'd like to see WGT implement something, too. I can dream, can't I?

RSS