Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tourney Greens vs. Tourney Greens

Mon, Jul 2 2012 10:28 AM (25 replies)
  • godelescher
    636 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:45 AM

First, it's ridiculous to have two different green speeds with the same name. I would like to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting...

"We need a name for the greens that are faster than 'very fast'."

"I know, how about 'Tournament'?"

"Brilliant! Now what about the next fastest green speed?"

Bob, who wasn't paying attention because he was looking at a bumble bee through the window snapped back into focus and decided he needed to offer up something. "How about 'Tournament'," he added.

"Tremendous work, Bob!" said Darth Putter, Overlord of the WGT empire.

OK. So, here's my question. Is there any way to know in advance whether tournament greens are tournament greens or tournament greens in tournaments?

What about TM specific tournaments? Are they tournament greens or are they tournament greens just like other tournaments?

What about country club tournaments with legends in them? Do the legends play the tournaments at tournament green speeds while the TMs play them only at tournament green speeds, (or vice versa), or do they all play at tournament green speeds, and if so, which one?

tournament...

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:53 AM

I believe WGT has sorted this out. I haven't had the slower tournament green speed experience in three days. It has been consistent every round. The ball will tend to roll a bit slower on uphill putts, but not like it did in the past. I'm also finding myself needing to hit putts with less feet of power these last few days, and experiencing a lot of lip-outs.

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:13 AM

Richard4168:
    I believe WGT has sorted this out.

Well, you're at Legend, so I'm not sure this topic would be germane to your perspective. Your tournament green speed is "tournament green" speed, not "tournament green" speed, regardless of the tournament.

Meanwhile I, at Tour Master, am forced to intuit the difference between "tournament green" speed and "tournament green" speed, (depending on the situation, of course).

Sure, it would be nice if we could all just play at tournament green speed, but tournaments greens, (unfortunately,) are either tournament greens or tournament greens.

I hope that cleared up the misunderstanding.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:50 AM

Richard4168:
    I believe WGT has sorted this out.

I don't think so. With the recent fix of the CC tournaments being out of whack (Legends playing from the TM tees) there has been a noticeable change. There isn't that much difference between the 2 to begin with but you can't treat Legend downhill putts like TM downhill putts. 

@godel-Funny piece to start your post off. The answer to your question is no, there is no way to tell until you get on the green. 

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 11:25 AM

YankeeJim:
    The answer to your question is no, there is no way to tell until you get on the green. 

Thank you, (not to be confused with "thank you").

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 11:56 AM

Ah, but there is a way to tell, at least sometimes. For example: If you are playing in a multi player game with Legends, the green speed will be tournament. However, if you are playing in a Tour Master tourney, free or ready-go, the green speed will be tournament. Haven't quite nailed cc tourney speeds, but I think it depends on who sets it up. If a TM hosts, the speed will be tournament; but if a Legend does, it will be tournament.

I suppose you also could deduce whether it's tournament or tournament from how the ball behaves on your 1st approach shot, but that is beyond my abilities.

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:23 PM

LeonDelBosque:
    Ah, but there is a way to tell, at least sometimes. For example: If you are playing in a multi player game with Legends, the green speed will be tournament. However, if you are playing in a Tour Master tourney, free or ready-go, the green speed will be tournament. Haven't quite nailed cc tourney speeds, but I think it depends on who sets it up. If a TM hosts, the speed will be tournament; but if a Legend does, it will be tournament.

Thank tournament you for clearing tournament that up, tournament...green.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:33 PM

Funny stuff godelescher and I couldn't agree more.  Your post exemplifies how ridiculous it is that we even have to broach this matter.  What's even more ridiculous is that it's been this way for a year.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:06 PM

I agree, that's the funniest G Dam thread/post I have read since I have been here.

Bubba likes this!!@

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:34 PM

Now, what is tournament green speed again, I am so confused.

RSS