Forums

Help › Forums

Re: mulligans during practice?

Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:56 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • longball2006
    60 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:29 PM
    only during practice sessions...would be nice to know what the various results would be instead of having to restart from the beginning...Thanks
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:22 AM
    Could not agree more...we then have a built in driving range and putting green...HB3
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:33 AM

Very easy for WGT to implement to, just add the option to "retake shot" to the menu.

On this same train of thought, they recently added "restart" to an unlimited CTTH which is great, would like to see this for unlimited stroke play tourneys as well. 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:34 AM
    I'm all for that option, too! In fact, just yesterday I went 9 holes at my local course, by myself, hitting up to 2-3 mulligans when I wanted to refine the particular shot or refine the ol' swing. But I only keep score with my first ball.
  • bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:02 AM

HI All,

I've been asking for this option for ages.

Forums » Product Discussions » WGT Beta » Mulligan Option

Thanks for re-igniting the subject.

Sean

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:11 AM

And since WGT has a right to make money off this game they could allow mulligans like they do club rentals... for a fee (nominal, we hope).  For 24 hours worth of all the mulligans we can eat... er, hit.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:23 AM

No no no DMM, cut that out!   Creating a monster there you are :P

----------------

Okay there is a problem unfortunately to the whole mulligan concept, especially allowing more than one per shot or hole but in general also. 

Here is what Githe said in the link that was pasted above.  This is true sadly, players would begin to map out the best shots for each part of each hole to perfection, it really already has been done to some extent with some players playing 1000+ rounds but imagine how much faster it would be done, and by more players.... 

gitthe:

I do not think you should have a mulligan option.  I think it will widen the gap of separation between the top tier players and players like myself who are semi competitive.  I think a player would soon be able to chart out every shot from almost every distance to near precision.  I understand there is still a random variance.  It wouild have the most impact on putting.  A mulligan option in practice mode will lead toward Tiger Woods like scoring.  Sure there are mulligans in real life.  But remember this is a video game.  Just my $.02. 

The way around it, besides bringing us a proper driving range and putting green, which could really just be a fairway of St. Andrews for example and one green, is to only allow mulligans on one hole in particular during practice, make it a practice hole, like ST. A #5 you can take mulligans in practice.  Maybe even 2 holes, or 1 from each course, like hole 1 only from each course you get mulligans in practice but just one hole might be best as long as it encompasses all aspects to the game, like rough around the green, sand around the green, etc. 

Best idea is to just set up one hole and one only as a practice hole where pretty much anything is allowed and all variables are selectable ie wind, green speed, etc. and make this a selection from the main menu, should NOT be hard for WGT to setup at all and essentially gives us a driving range and putting green with chip/pitch options, hell just make a limit of 30 or 40 shots on the hole or no limit, done like dinner and no downsides and easy to implement. 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:39 AM

Or, as someone else noted from that previous thread: Limit mulligans (practice only, not ranked) to 3 per shot.  That way you can't practice that eagle putt over and over and over until you can nail it every time.  And still, there are multiple other variations to keep one honest in ranked play... wind, speed of greens, VEM, etc.

I think it's fair to practice as the PGA pros do and hit multiple shots in practice to better learn the rough, or the wind, or the green speed.  Or just learn how far you hit a 7 iron, or wherre the best landing area is on the green at #2 St. Andrews.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:45 PM

I played Kiawah at the local simulator. It was exact in every detail and fun to play but the best part was the driving range. Nothing more than a football field type layout with yardages on the gridlines-simple. Hit and watch the overhead view or look straight ahead at the ball. Throw in some wind variables and that would be sufficient.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 6:00 PM

Agree with Jay here even with variety in green speeds and winds these can be mastered and mapping out the couse would be very easy.1 hole 1 green to practice on otherwise i agree very low scores will be the norm imho.

chip

• PAGES
RSS