Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Clubs

Mon, Jun 4 2012 5:58 PM (28 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2012 1:52 PM

SweetiePie91:
    But why havent you set any tier limit on clubs? Why is it only on balls? If you set limits on clubs too you will get the cheating down really much.

IDK what it's like in your country but here in America, where WGT is based, if you have the money you can buy it. You start restricting sales of equipment here that anybody can buy in the real world, you pretty much stiff the sponsor.  I'm pretty sure Nike, Callaway, TM and all the rest could give a hoot about somebody not good enough using their stuff-they just want it to sell. Legend balls are a mystery to everybody because they don't out perform the other balls anybody can buy. IMO, it was, at the time, to appease the uproar about the equipment/level/tier argument.

Equipment sales used to be tier based. Now they're not. That's the way it is and probably will stay. Don't play somebody you think has equipment they shouldn't have, by your standards.

Incidentally, topics evolve, just like this one. You can't dictate where they should go, it's all related.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2012 2:29 PM

SweetiePie91:

The Ad's has nothing to do with how much people buy form them. They pay WGT for being on their site and thats it, WGT dont get money from people buying stuff from it. And as usual many people have now gotten away from the original post I made.

And btw, WGT dont make money from people buying stuff from the ad's, they earn money from companies who pay to be on this site...

never said so Pie .. read my post again .. pay attention .. i said revenue from sales as a result of advertising on WGT generates revenue in sales, which will keep the advertisers knocking on WGT's door .. the logical inference being that the advertisers will keep on paying WGT for advertising space on their website .. OF COURSE they won't get $ from those sales .. i stated that WGT primary stream of revenue is LIKELY the cause of advertising income .. <facepalm>

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 8:32 AM

YankeeJim:

IDK what it's like in your country but here in America, where WGT is based, if you have the money you can buy it. You start restricting sales of equipment here that anybody can buy in the real world, you pretty much stiff the sponsor.  I'm pretty sure Nike, Callaway, TM and all the rest could give a hoot about somebody not good enough using their stuff-they just want it to sell. Legend balls are a mystery to everybody because they don't out perform the other balls anybody can buy. IMO, it was, at the time, to appease the uproar about the equipment/level/tier argument.

Equipment sales used to be tier based. Now they're not. That's the way it is and probably will stay. Don't play somebody you think has equipment they shouldn't have, by your standards.

Incidentally, topics evolve, just like this one. You can't dictate where they should go, it's all related.

Well you cant buy any ball you want here can you? And you cant buy equipment if you arent a certain level? So whats so weird in having a limitation on tiers instead of level? I really dont get you and why you cant see that this will bring cheaters down. Just playing x5coop who is tour pro with all the best equipment and he will surely beat me because of that. Is that fair?

• barbarella24
    513 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 9:25 AM

If the equipment is released by tier, what happens to the Tour Pros (or any tier) who just can't improve there score, can't get below that magic average number? No equipment upgrades available to help. Surely they would lose interest and stop playing, a customer lost?

I saw someone else write on another thread to only allow XP points for ranked stroke rounds, obviously this doesn't stop the problem you highlighted as a player could easily post artificially high scores, but maybe a mixture of this and equipment being released by tier would fix it, kinda like the Legend balls but higher level conditions. 

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 9:26 AM

Well, that same person Sweetie.p most of his rounds are OVER par, yet has plenty of matchplay wins against legends and tour masters under his belt, so playing these players are your own fault. I wouldn't dream of playing a level 90 hack/pro, the alarm bells should automatically ring if you see a pro still at level 90.  Not wanting to sound rude, buts its your own fault.  A lot of these players are tour masters in pro's clothing

barbarella24:
    If the equipment is released by tier, what happens to the Tour Pros (or any tier) who just can't improve there score

Most players would eventualy, whats wrong with having to use a 255 yard driver from pro tee's, its more than what was available when i was a pro, it would teach them to use mid to long range irons more IMPROVING their game.  heck in the good old days i had to try and qualify for virtual open at St Andrews with a 245 yard rapture as i was only a pro, and couldn't wait to reach master to unlock 270 yard driver making me play plenty of ranked rounds to improve average

Most people could score par with a 255 driver which in turn would unlock master equipment, the trouble is a lot of these players dont want to make par because they want to keep their averages high, its these players sweetiepie wants to target, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. THIS IS HOW IT USED TO BE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO!  People would still buy the drivers, you tend to buy them EVERY tier, not just 1 or 2 then your done.  I  bought 245,255,270, 279 drivers when it was tier based, now most just keep buying level ups and wait until they get 270+ drivers, but stay on red tees!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 10:32 AM

SweetiePie91:
    So whats so weird in having a limitation on tiers instead of level?

It used to be that way and like I pointed out above, the argument about having the right to buy it if you have the credits holds water. Think about it. You're in the business of selling stuff to make money but you limit yourself to who can buy it. That doesn't make a whole lot of business sense.

It sounds like you think this would solve the sandbagging problem. Maybe it would for brand new types but it isn't going to change what is already out there. Horrors if you think changing what is out there would work-that for sure isn't going to happen. You are in control of who you play, not WGT. Stay away from those you think are sandbagging. Simple.

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 2:25 PM

YankeeJim:
    It used to be that way and like I pointed out above, the argument about having the right to buy it if you have the credits holds water. Think about it. You're in the business of selling stuff to make money but you limit yourself to who can buy it. That doesn't make a whole lot of business sense.

You still dont see what im trying to write. I have said 3 times now that "why do they still have tier limit on balls?". Im sure they earn a big amount on balls, much more than on clubs as people tend to buy lots of balls and they dont last that long really. You only buy clubs a few times, might even buy them once with the system we are having now.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 2:33 PM

SweetiePie91:

YankeeJim:

You still dont see what im trying to write. I have said 3 times now that "why do they still have tier limit on balls?". Im sure they earn a big amount on balls, much more than on clubs as people tend to buy lots of balls and they dont last that long really. You only buy clubs a few times, might even buy them once with the system we are having now.

i wouldn't call it  a tier limit on balls, any one can buy the level 70 nikes, so really the term legend on the callways is pretty pointless, but balls are balls, its a fair choice for any one, we all have a different specification why we buy a ball. II prefer lvl 48, nikes, some prefer callaways, even the lvl 70 nikes, no tier limit really.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2012 5:58 PM

SweetiePie91:
    I have said 3 times now that "why do they still have tier limit on balls?".

And I offered an answer the first time. Rather an opinion and I would venture to guess that the Legend only balls aren't a huge moneymaker anyway. A very small % of the balls used, from casual observation.

RSS