Help › Forums

Re: Re-gripping clubs

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 2 2012 11:16 AM (6 replies)
  • MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:00 AM

Hey everyone.

I know the basice of DIY re-gripping as have done it several times but have come across a problem.  It's been a few years since I did any and I can't remember what I used as solvent, I thought it was turpentine but aparently I may have been wrong.   I got a good deal on 10 Golf Pride Patriot grips, well smart they are too.  I started with my 3 iron, cut the old grip off, cleaned the shaft, applied 3 wraps of grip tape and brushed some turps substitute over it.  Poured a bit in the grip, swished it around and poured it into a jar.  All good so far.  Then I started sliding the new grip on and thought Why the hell are my hands covered in black stuff?   Turns out turps substitute disolved all the black ink or whatever it is on the grip and made it look rather less patriotic than when new.  I'm very pleased I got 10 grips as that one will have to be binned.

My question, sorry for the delay getting there, is what should I use?  White spirit?  I hear there is also water soluble tape these days which would make life easier and less smelly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:13 AM

rubbing alcohol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:13 AM

Mineral spirits. The way I do it is to wrap the shaft with 2 faced tape, overlapping by 1/2 the width of the tape. Stick a tee into the end of the grip, fill with the mineral spirits (lighter fluid works too), pour it over the taped grip, remove the tee and push it on. Don't stop once you start pushing.  GL

• brysoni23
    693 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:16 AM

When i last changed mine i used Window cleaner, also plug the grip with a tee squirt some cleaner in and give it a good shake.

Remove the tee and putt the new grip on, may smell a little like vinegar but it will not dissolve anything : )

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 7:20 AM

yep, I use lighter fluid mostly, but any number of solvents work.  Make sure you get them aligned as you slide them on  ;)

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 11:01 AM

Thanks for the tips.  I saw someone using window cleaner once, gave it a try but it didn't do anything, maybe you need one with a certain ingredient.   Is mineral spirit the same as white spirit?  I can get something called spiritus no bother here.  My concern is using something that will make the black on the grips run again.  I suppose I could try a bit on the one I already ruined.

Never had any bother before and I've done loads of clubs, used to do them for other people too.  Strange.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 11:16 AM

It might just be the dye in the grip. Anything that softens the glue on the tape is probably going to react on the dye, too. Try wrapping them in tin foil or plastic wrap first.

RSS