Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Legends greens..

Fri, Jul 13 2012 8:12 PM (47 replies)
  • promark1
    412 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:19 PM

alcaucin:

When you play Alt with Legs are the greens in fact faster than tourney ?  & if so why not have a separate designation for them ? ie: fast,tourney & maybe Glass !!   Ty...Andy..

if you take a look at what wgt say are the green speeds in the FAQ HOME section it says they range from very slow to championship?i have been here nearly 2 years and never even knew championship greens existed

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:40 PM

alosso:

bearclaw27:

Here is my question..

If you are playing in a CC tourney and the green speed says "Tournament", how are we to know if the speed is TM speed, or Legend speed?

By trial & error.

Bit late on single play though Alo..Andy

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:33 PM

alcaucin:

alosso:

bearclaw27:

If you are playing in a CC tourney and the green speed says "Tournament", how are we to know if the speed is TM speed, or Legend speed?

By trial & error.

Bit late on single play though Alo..Andy

You won't get it to know it earlier Andy.

Until recently I thought to be safe of it unless playing with a Legend. The first time in the Olympic Nation Multiround tourney (US Open) it came to me in a tiered tourney, and later I've seen it in a CC tourney - dunno how it was set up there, either "random" or as a WGT variation of "tournament"?

• Tonto0206
    460 Posts
    Fri, Jul 13 2012 4:09 PM

I seem to remember playing the Whistler tournament when that course was first released, or was it Olympic, not sure, but yes I got the shock of my life when I saw "championship" as the green speed.

Didn't have a clue what to do, apart from four putt everywhere.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 13 2012 4:39 PM

Tonto0206:

I seem to remember playing the Whistler tournament when that course was first released, or was it Olympic, not sure, but yes I got the shock of my life when I saw "championship" as the green speed.

Didn't have a clue what to do, apart from four putt everywhere.

It was Oakmont 3 Opens ago for me. The scariest putting scenario you could imagine at an extremely hard course to putt. You know hole #2? Land 2-3 feet past the hole uphill from the pin, miss the putt and have a 40-50 foot return. Totally sick but absolutely the tensest challenge you can have. Great fun.

It always comes down to the putting.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:05 PM

When I first started, Champ Greens was my worst nitemare actually just slightly better than my Ex wife.....lol

Now I think Champ Greens are cool, better than the Legend Tourny Speed greens where we don't know which speed we get until we start putting...lol

-Roger

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:48 PM

mantis0014:
    Now I think Champ Greens are cool, better than the Legend Tourny Speed greens where we don't know which speed we get until we start putting...lol
    So what would champions be then 1.5 stimp..???  wow.!!

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jul 13 2012 8:12 PM

andyson:

YankeeJim:
    OK, replace AS with mixed tiers such as you get in an All Players tournament. Same difference.

He never mentioned mixed tiers either.

YankeeJim:
    You still haven't addressed the in between values.

Where did he say they used in between values?  That's where you are reading too much in his statement.

This makes sense? 

Remember when Legend tier was first introduced we got Champion (13.0) greens.  WGT was scrambling and backpedaling based on the feedback.  They needed a quick solution and creating a new green speed name for Legends was a lot more work and would delay introduction of the fixes.  They needed to put the fires out.  So 12.0 also became Tournament.  It appeased the masses.  That's what I think happened.

This is a very good post telling all of us the speeds.

The way my brain works, yes it's slow at times...lol......  I would rather see the Names, Fast, Very Fast, Tourny, Champ.

This way my brain can understand what is required on the greens.

Now, when they start to use Stimp Meter Figures... that's way too much for me to handle...lol.

The difference (apart from the obvious), between maths figures... 11.0, 9.5.. I think the names are better to understand... like Fast, Tourny, Champ...ect

Maybe Wgt could have thought to name a speed of say.... Legend Tourny Speed or something like that instead of having 2 speeds coming under the one name.... Not too late to change.

Champ Speed is only one speed for me..... Quick as Lightning and it's good to putt on them, Because you know what ya getting.....

I'm not really fussed about it... Well, I can tell you I cannot putt on Slow Greens... That's worse than death for me.....lol.

Just saying a name to a speed is easier than a stimp meter number... Name the faster speed Tourny speed greens something else.

I've also noticed lately... since the new Wgt People have come on around....

They replied to most of the posts.... now we hardly hear from em....

Why is this so...lol

-Roger

RSS