Forums

Help › Forums

Re: First invisible branches, now invisible birds?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:39 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SANFRANFLAMER
    25 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:07 AM

i dont see it.  the arc of the shot looks smooth.  just kind of a low trajectory

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:17 AM

pb1711:
    I hit my 4iron with almost full bs. I've had that shot a few times and never seen that before.

That's what I thought. IMO, that club was too low for as close as you were to the bunker wall and it clipped the top coming out. If you think about the result of actually doing that IRL, the result was pretty accurate.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:06 AM

I don't know how much we can trust the ball tracking trail in replays after seeing so many shots go over the hole and not fall but.....

If you zoom in on the player using camera 2 in the replay, you'll see the trail change direction slightly about 2 feet in front of the player.  As if it deflected off something in the bunker.  See the photo below.

For comparison, I went to Kiawah #2 and drove into the same vicinity.  After a couple of tries I managed to ding the shot with full back spin using the same R11 4I as the OP.  There was no change in direction on my shot and I got the normal expected result as the ball carried 187 yds, well over the cross hazard.

In order to hit something about 2 feet in front of the ball the obstruction would need to be pretty high I would think.  Looks like a WGT elevation mapping error to me.

Here's my replay if you're interested.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:58 AM

Perhaps you using full bs and the OP using almost full made the difference. That could make sense if you think that full bs requires a deeper cut into the sand. Interesting if it's true.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:12 AM

I also thought it was weird. I only happens to me there and other places when you do not clear it initially and it tips on the edge of the rough.

It's possible that edges are not 100% precise and tracking maybe little off too, so when you clipped it, it didn't show so but actually happened.

-wgticon

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:39 AM

to be honest although the shot looked wierd in the replay.....i'd be relatively happy with that outcome. another yard or 2 and you'd have been in the weeds and lost the ball.....whereas at least the birdie is still on.

bunker shots can act wierd at times.....that's golf.

tbe

• PAGES
RSS