Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How do you handle BPB #15?

Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:36 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 4:49 AM

How i play BPB # 15, or was i just lucky??

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=33f2c7aa-cc1e-418c-9672-a0fa007aeb20

• tiaz79
    681 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 5:05 AM

andwhy67:
    How i play BPB # 15, or was i just lucky??

Lucky? Why?

You can also easily reach the pin on # 5 in this way. (cam 3)

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 5:43 AM

This shot was made by a member of the Elite CC

Eagle @ Bethpage Hole #15

• TRYING2B
    33 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 6:42 AM

Usually I save par.. with luck even a bird... sometimes... not even that...

Posting replays won't help much, though he can get an idea. many of the shots are luck, and not all skill. First thing you need is better irons, Irons with high trajectory are best. The higher the trajectory, the more distance you will lose using backspin, so it's a combination of both... and again, luck. With high trajectory irons, and provided you can reach the hole, you need to aim or try to land left of the hole, better a bit above it, but not too far that it won't roll back. I would suggest a combination of full to 3/4 bs(maybe a bit less with headwind)... but for this you need to add more distance, that is, add ass much as 20 yds...and even more if you have headwind. Most people know if you land left and manage to make it roll back it would describe a curve as it does this, from left to right. If you land right of the hole it may still roll back, but will do it straight downhill... on the right part of the hole... Pray if your ball doesn't roll back. I guess your med trajectory irons are not good, so, you will likely not land on green and if you do... your ball will roll forever, leaving you in a worse position. Tell me what your clubs wedges are and I could suggest you something...

If you land on the bunkers before the hole, and provided you have a 50 yarder, that is a 15% sand, so use full backspin and add about 10 more yds..(depends on your balls too, starter balls... pray again). If you happen to land on rough, with good balls you can stop it near, provided you don't miss the ding badly. I would suggest better balls, and lots of backspin... If I am within 15 yards, I usually go with a flop, always aiming left, or pulling it on the meter, close to the line left of ding, all shots and numbers vary depending on your clubs and balls... I cannot help you with that.. Good luck

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 8:05 AM

TRYING2B:
    many of the shots are luck, and not all skill.

I respectfully disagree. Shots landing on the green with enough roll to pass the hole will roll back down below the hole-the only place with a decent putt. Shots that carry the pin and roll past will also come back down, you just need to make sure you don't push the shot up on top of the hill.

Before the better clubs came along the play for that hole was to land on the left side of the fairway and hit a 3W or long iron with topspin into the rough in between the traps and have it roll onto the green. The alternative was to hit into the trap in front and 60W it out for an easy up and down save.

• TRYING2B
    33 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:26 AM

Ok Jim:

When I say that luck plays a role, I mean... that you need luck, everybody here knows that even with a seemingly perfect shot, with all things considered, there is something called VEM that does its part...don't you agree? Everybody gets wtf shots here... you may aim left, ding and the wind can take your ball off the green, make it land short,... and hitting the ding also takes luck.. so provided you get all the factors... you can still get the bad luck factor when your meter seems to slow down, or stutters, or you have all the demons against you and get the worst of all possibilities, or pull your shot and get a better than you imagined... It's all in the equation. You can have a 20 mph wind from your left, aim in the left rough, pull it slightly and the ball goes left of where you aimed.. I am familiar with that cause I have suffered it a lot. I have aimed left, pushed it with left wind and still managed to land a few feet from the hole, so skill is not all you need to have all the time... and I am not complaining...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:36 AM

On that particular hole the best play is not necessarily to get close to the pin. Position is way more important because 2-3 feet away hole high is a nightmarish putt. However, just about anything below the pin will give you a reasonable, very makeable putt. Look at it that way and you'll birdie more than you bogey with par being almost automatic.  :-)

• PAGES
RSS