Forums

Help › Forums

How do you handle BPB #15?

Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:36 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 10:16 PM

Seriously, this hole gives me a bogey ALL THE TIME! This is the only hole in all WGT that I can't play using my common sense. I know the green is highly elevated (35 ft) and hard to reach so for example at my second shot, I'm 197 YDS away, I know I have to swing harder to reach 215-230 and that's what I do. The shot doesn't even reach the bunkers and end up 150 YDs away! Until I can buy Master clubs, I'll consider it a PAR 5 hole which should be in the first place.

I'm having difficulties understanding this one and just wanted to see if I'm the only one.

BTW, if you see my average going up (I was in the 67 and now in the 73) it's just because lately I almost only play BPB to practice a bit. You can see I really want to handle this course! And it's getting a bit more enjoyable now that I have the Daytona putter.

Thanks all

Rob

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 10:27 PM

First of all, no matter how you cut it, it remains a bogey hole. The key is to limit your bogeys on this hole.

What I personally do is play it as a 3-shot par 4. I just lay up to the end of the fairway and try to stick that next shot close. It works for me a fair amount, you may want to try it.

Rehill

BTW-you can search BPB #15 over there -----> and get some pretty good tips!

• borntobesting
    9,687 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 3:01 AM

rehill:

First of all, no matter how you cut it, it remains a bogey hole. The key is to limit your bogeys on this hole.

What I personally do is play it as a 3-shot par 4. I just lay up to the end of the fairway and try to stick that next shot close. It works for me a fair amount, you may want to try it.

Rehill

BTW-you can search BPB #15 over there -----> and get some pretty good tips!

So true. Even if you hit the green on your second shot you can end up with a bogey or even worse because of the very hard to putt on green. If you land well above the hole the slope is so severe that even if you putt with the lowest meter for your putter you can actually putt off the green. I have parred it a few times, mainly with blind luck making a nasty side hill putt or getting so close with my 3rd shot from the rough that your putt is only a few feet. or less.

This hole has ruined many a great round but still we all try to make birdies on it when like you said we should play it like a par 5 and accept our bogey and limit the bleeding so to speak.

One of the first times I played the BPB ctth I aced it with a wild looking shot that landed well above and to the left of the hole and followed the contour all the way to the hole. It actually was a terrible  shot that was pulled badly and just got lucky. The classic case of shoot then.... oh it's going to be close. Then wow it's an ace.

• borntobesting
    9,687 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 9:56 AM

check out my replay on my profile to see how to get it close on #15. If you do watch it just to let you know now hard the green is to putt or how bad a putter I am, I 3 putted from that 5-6 foot position for a bogey. oh well at least I got it close.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 10:37 AM

Here's another replay that's very similar to yours, borntobesting, showing the closest I've come to an Eagle on BPB #15 to date. It left me with a rare tap-in for birdie.

I used a full stroke with my G10 Pro Set 7 iron, GI-D ball with full backspin to just make the green...

... those with weak stomachs are advised not to watch this replay... it was a real heartbreaker.   :/

In all fairness... the attempt was a try at emulating a shot that I saw in the "Post Your Replay" thread... (sorry... can't remember who posted it right now)... and the distance/wind were just right for it.

• bonhoeffe
    111 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 11:02 AM

Rob -

You might know that BPB#15 is also featured in the Closest to the Hole shots for that course. What I have found to be the most consistent source of "thumpers" (shots that end up less than 10 feet from the cup) is to find the funnel on the left hand side of the green. Depending on your clubs, it might be a 7 or 8 iron, hit somewhat lightly, with backspin, from about 125 yards. It's fun to catch that slope and ride it over near the cup!

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 2:03 PM

it should be a par7.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 5:58 PM

rehill:
    First of all, no matter how you cut it, it remains a bogey hole.

Not true. It's not a birdie hole for most.  :)

To the OP, you have to get the good wind to be effective on your second shot. If not, play for a lay-up shot, and if your good with a wedge, it's a for sure par, even from the ruff.

nivlac made a putt from the top side of green, it may still be on his profile. Birdie can be achieved. Bollox can show you how to stop the ball using the edge of the ruff just off the green, and watch it roll within 3'. tibbets was good at it too. Practice that shot.

In any event, practice makes perfect.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 6:08 PM

I posted a similar question a while back.. and one particular user offered a screenshot that helped me quite a bit. I also have a replay on my profile (approach @ 15) where I got the ball within 2 yards of the hole from about 160-70 out. Unfortunately I also yipped the put and ended with par.

However since knowing where to aim my ability to at least par this hole has greatly increased!

GL

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 7:47 PM

Richard4168:

rehill:
    First of all, no matter how you cut it, it remains a bogey hole.

Not true. It's not a birdie hole for most.  :)

Ya that may be true... I guess I was speaking for myself =)

• PAGES
RSS