Help › Forums

Re: Tour Master

Wed, Sep 19 2012 2:45 PM (38 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:11 AM

TarheelsRule:

This is to the OP

Moving through the tiers should be done with a lot of play on all the courses that we have available to us rather than just the 'easy ones'.  As a pro or master, you can go to the front side at Kiawah or STA and bang out some 30 and 31's and make tour master in a fairly short period of time.

However if you play all the courses, easy and hard.  Oakmont, Bethpage, Congressional, etc. in equal numbers you will be a better player when you move up to the next level.  It is tempting to take the easy way up but if you do you will find it frustrating when you aren't as good as those folks who have a 62 average on all  other courses.

Absolutely true. One course wonders in the end hurt themselves. Playing for experience on all the courses is the way to learn the game. Selling that level up junk in the Pro Shop is another way of players hurting themselves when they get to the brickwall. They're called "Experience Points" for a reason.

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 11:14 AM

Well, I have to ADMIT............I did rush to get to the LEGEND TIER - took me 4-1/2 mos. of playing "ranked rounds" to get there.  However, I was at a high enough LEVEL to have really good equipment to play as a Legend. 

And though I AGREE, it would be a better plan to play ALL of the courses......I probably would have been playing for another 3+ months (if not longer) to get to the Legend Tier.  Making 6 birds & 3 pars is not easy on ANY WGT course.  I guess I just wasn't willing or patient enough to be OK with spending 12+ months.....so, I played 3 or 4 courses I was most comfortable with.  NOW, I do play ALL of the courses and WISH that WGT would open up a few more for "ranked play".

NOW.....I find myself working to impove "approach shots" & "my putting game"....because, it is "different" at the Legend Tier.  I'm OK with playing from the Championship Tees.  But, members need to "realize" Championship Tees do play considerably further than those white tees.  As I mentioned - on St. Andrew's, from the Championship Tees...you'll play just over the length of 5-1/2 football fields further from the #1 tee to the 18th hole.

One last thing........I know of a WGT member who went from HACK to LEGEND in ONLY  (6 weeks).  Still just not sure HOW that's possible.  I looked at his "scoring history".......he had mostly 29's, 30's & 31's as a Tour Master.....but, then, looking at his early Legend scores.....they were the SAME 29's, 30's & 31's (on the same courses).......Just seems like at least early on - playing from Legend Tees - those scores would be a few strokes higher..........just wondering.  And, HOW do you level up fast enough where WGT would allow you to buy the BEST equipment if you make it to Legend in ONLY 6 weeks? 

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 11:59 AM

alosso:

mnshiner:
    That response is not called for. Who are you to judge?
    Who are you to judge what is "called for"?

Isn't a congratulation appropriate?

Should it be wrong to pull the leg of a guy who started his new tier with a fabulous 60?

Would you mind if I ask you kindly to look up the smiley "semicolon" "hyphen" "closing angle bracket"?

You mentioned bagging not me, that is why your comment is uncalled for.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 12:42 PM

mnshiner:

alosso:

mnshiner:
    That response is not called for. Who are you to judge?
    Who are you to judge what is "called for"?

Isn't a congratulation appropriate?

Should it be wrong to pull the leg of a guy who started his new tier with a fabulous 60?

Would you mind if I ask you kindly to look up the smiley "semicolon" "hyphen" "closing angle bracket"?

CHILL guys,this is a celebration of an achievement,NOT an excuse to have a pop at each other  (Early one for Pizza,def off topic)...n1, Alanti.....Andy

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 12:53 PM

alcaucin:
    CHILL guys

It's a good old fashioned misunderstanding :)

Looks like you two worked it out. Also, OP your thread was posted in the wrong section. If you need help from the community, be sure to post in the "Community Help" section

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:12 PM

mnshiner:

I'm sorry that you don't see the joke in it. I hope that Al does.

Peace!

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:39 PM

I'm rapidly approaching Legend (I think, I'm not sure). I really don't think I belong there. Moving back on the tees is gonna kill me because, even though I have good clubs, I don't have the level to get the best clubs.

I just can't bring myself to throttle back on the shooting while amassing the requisite XP points.  I keep trying to beat my best.  When I make it, I'm probably going to be terrible for a long time.

• FamousBeef
    271 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:46 PM

bubbadork:

I'm rapidly approaching Legend (I think, I'm not sure). I really don't think I belong there. Moving back on the tees is gonna kill me because, even though I have good clubs, I don't have the level to get the best clubs.

I just can't bring myself to throttle back on the shooting while amassing the requisite XP points.  I keep trying to beat my best.  When I make it, I'm probably going to be terrible for a long time.

you will be fine with the burners.

I hit 90 shortly after i hit legend and got the r11s, in hindsight that was an error as I really had the burners dialed in.  So I had the self induced problem of learning the R11s from farther approaches and also the slightly faster legend tourny greens.

150 rounds later I am still not as good with the r11s as I was with the burners.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Sep 19 2012 2:45 PM

alosso:
    I'm sorry that you don't see the joke in it. I hope that Al does.

LOL I never take offence and always have a laugh reading some of the forums - perhaps (now I am setting myself up for ridicule) it is a either an exceedingly low IQ, too thick skinned or I may possibly have a sense of humor.

For now I can forget my average and enjoy the game on all courses. As many have mentioned, there is little point purely becoming a pretend legend by being a one course wonder. When I am ready to make the step up, thats when I would make the concerted effort to make that step (now I hear "sandbagger" ringing in the distance lol). The last thing I want is to play like a hack from the championship tees - I don't want WGT to cite me for bringing legend status into disrepute.

And just for the record, I played 9 holes on St Andrews after the promotion just to see the difference - I was surprised, no extra distance and the only change was the green speed - but I have always used Tournament Speed for practice so was not a major impact (but will suffer on Oakmont lol).

Thanks all for the input and how this post started in Community Introductions is beyond me - but before mentioning my IQ - I was not the OP lol.

RSS