Help › Forums

Re: How are you guys doing it?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:19 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 11:16 PM

Again I echo what everyone has said. I am not good enough to shoot low 50s partly because I do not either have the time nor inclination to play as much as I would need to get close to those scores. I play the game for enjoyment, and as a challenge to myself without being a slave to the game.

You are scoring well, so just play your own game and don't worry about other scores. With that you will continue to enjoy the game.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 11:52 PM

ENJOY!

was pointed out already.

I'd like to verbose it, enjoy the views!

Having seen one of the courses in nature and a few of them in broadcast, I'm struck again and again from the beautiful HD pictures showing the courses and their surroundings.

We get used to the straight shots fairway-up, fairway-down, but once in a while there's a new view, across the greens or air shots from unknown angles - I just love them, they make me feel like being there, and I certainly don't play the TruGolf courses with the same enthusiasm.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 12:11 AM

Yep, Ive been beating myself for several years now!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 12:11 AM

Great point, I am lucky enough to have played 2 of the courses on WGT, and get great vistas of the course that I didnt see in RL.

Thats why I try to hit the rough and bunkers, to get a view of what I saw in real life!

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 12:37 AM

alanti:
    Thats why I try to hit the rough and bunkers, to get a view of what I saw in real life!
    LOL - "sweet" memories...

Which courses did you play?

I teed it up on Old Course for a fiver, taking a guided tour on a Sunday. Played Jubilee two days later and a few other courses - a fabulous trip to the Kingdom of Five!

Sweet memories!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:24 PM

I was lucky enough to play the Old Course three times and played the New Course once. I also played Kiawah years ago but the course was quite new and I wasn't overly impressed apart from the layout.

I have been lucky to play a lot of other Courses in both England and Scotland, but the Old Course sends shivers down my spine, mainly due to its history. On two of the occasions the weather was perfect, light breezes and if you can drive straight, and with a little luck can score well. When the wind blows it is a different course - it transforms into a monster and if you miss the fairway you can consider a it a lost ball (although you invairably find someone eles ball).

When I was living in the UK, I wasn't too far away from RSG but never contemplated playing there, now I wish I had.

Every golf course has its unique qualities and I always enjoy every round (regardless if I play very poorly) even if its is just appreciating the vista and applauding good shots from within your playing group! And thats how I treat WGT.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:19 PM

alanti:
    Every golf course has its unique qualities and I always enjoy every round (regardless if I play very poorly) even if its is just appreciating the vista and applauding good shots from within your playing group!
    Well said, and ty for sharing your experience.

I never desired to play the Old Course until the last Open - seeing some of those special contours in TV certainly caused a resonance in myself :)

Alas, there are plenty valuable courses on Earth, some in my bag like Verulam, Venezia, Durness, Brora, Leven, Son Termens (not to name those close to my home which I gladly replay every year), some to be on the future list, like Carnoustie, Monte Mayor, Pebble Beach.

Best of all is, there are scarcely any unvaluable courses (one in my memory), all the others produce an unspoilt image of happy hours of exploration and unique experience, regardless of stardom and price.

Priceless to know how lucky we are to work on these memories...

• PAGES
RSS