Re: Need Help Understanding This Shot

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 22 2012 6:21 AM (23 replies)
  • LeGeNdCrUsHeR
    2,067 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:15 AM

YankeeJim:

mnshiner:

My calculations come up to be the same as LC's. 165 yd. iron with a tad of topspin. Should put you close if you get a decent roll.

This brings up a question for TLs. Using the OP's example, do you account for the greens being faster on landing? The times I play with TLs the greens are naturally faster but they don't always seem so when accounting for rollout. With wind affecting putting distances as it does should this be considered?

For champ greens, I would allow for and additional 3-4 yards roll out.  However, this is dependent on the slope of the green.  If it is a down slope, you will have to hit the shot differently.  162yards, 30mph wind in face for me would be played like such on champ greens...

162 to the pin + 58-60% roughly for wind (dependent if wind gauge is ticking to the 530 or 630 positions) = 178  touch of back spin (1 dot) This will land at or around 158-159 and roll out a couple of yards.  The touch of back spin will take a few yards off, but will not have a dramatic difference. 

Now, if you were to have a up slope on landing, you will need to compensate for the same as landing on tournament greens (which you know how to do).

Hope that helps Jim. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:36 AM

LeGeNdCrUsHeR:
    For champ greens, I would allow for and additional 3-4 yards roll out.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks.

• Buckeye8084
    307 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 11:44 AM

Oldbayrunner:

Buckeye8084:

I was taking a look at Bilko's site and the formula's they came up with for wind. Mine were different and appear to be off even though they were pretty accurate. I always used a .58 value and they use a .43 I put that into my calculations and it seems to be far more accurate. This explains why on my original post why I was so long. I played the wind at about 26 extra yards and it should have been 19. 

You are correct with the clubs and balls you use ... The thing with SGTBilko's is it is a general all around estimated calculation which is good for players to get an idea of what to use and adjust accordingly. It cannot take into consideration the various club & ball distance length variance. For that one needs a much more detailed spreadsheet that takes those factors into calculation. Even then there is no exact Calc measure in this game that works perfect every time due to green speed, slope etc.

Would you be so kind to help me to understand your square root factors or cross winds. I am taking a ms office class this quarter and we learned a lot about excel formula's.

What I do for wind personally is give degress of wind a percentage of 100. 90 degree is 100, 80 degrees .88, 70 degrees .77...etc I take that value, multiply by .43 (thanks to you now), and then multiply by the distance to the hole...ie. 152 yard shot = 1.52

• Tonto0206
    460 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 6:21 AM

All credit to you for your excellence in Excel and your mathematical prowess, but the one thing you are missing is feel.

With a wind like that there is no formula, in fact the ball should have stopped dead, but it didn't.

That should tell you something. 

RSS