Forums

Help › Forums

Need Help Understanding This Shot

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 22 2012 6:21 AM (23 replies)
  • mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:17 AM

My calculations come up to be the same as LC's. 165 yd. iron with a tad of topspin. Should put you close if you get a decent roll.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:56 AM

mnshiner:

My calculations come up to be the same as LC's. 165 yd. iron with a tad of topspin. Should put you close if you get a decent roll.

This brings up a question for TLs. Using the OP's example, do you account for the greens being faster on landing? The times I play with TLs the greens are naturally faster but they don't always seem so when accounting for rollout. With wind affecting putting distances as it does should this be considered?

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2012 11:36 AM

YankeeJim:

This brings up a question for TLs. Using the OP's example, do you account for the greens being faster on landing? The times I play with TLs the greens are naturally faster but they don't always seem so when accounting for rollout. With wind affecting putting distances as it does should this be considered?

Great ? Mr. Jim. Interested to see if we get an answer.

• Buggyyy
    1,963 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:15 PM

With my calculations, I would've hit that shot for about 172 or 173 yards. That being said, 165 half top most likely would've been the perfect shot to take just like LeGeNdCrUsHeR said.

• Buckeye8084
    307 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:16 PM

andyson:

For what its worth, my shot records on that hole:

152yds up 4' 30mph at 6 o'clock (same as OPs) I hit Burner 2.0 6I, 1/3 BS and ended 12ft short and left.  6I full no backspin would have been close.

I agree with those above who said you gave the headwind too much credit and hit it too hard. At that distance my calculations give 12.5 yds extra for the wind.

Thanks for the post. I would be interested in how you calculate for wind. 

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:45 PM

YankeeJim:
     Using the OP's example, do you account for the greens being faster on landing? 

I'm no TL here obv, so please don't take this as an attempt to steal an answer.  But, YJ, you have noticed a ball rolls out farther on approaches with different speeds, right?  Standard greens on 15 at BPB are much easier to hold near the front pin with a 3i than Tourney greens.

It stands to reason that as precise as some players are, they do account for a yard or two more rollout based on green speed.....not to mention where the ball lands on the green.

I'll be interested to see an answer, too.

• Buckeye8084
    307 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 1:17 AM

I was taking a look at Bilko's site and the formula's they came up with for wind. Mine were different and appear to be off even though they were pretty accurate. I always used a .58 value and they use a .43 I put that into my calculations and it seems to be far more accurate. This explains why on my original post why I was so long. I played the wind at about 26 extra yards and it should have been 19. 

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 2:19 AM

The reason I agreed with LC is I came up with a tad over 15 yards added to the distance.

153 + 15 =168 which gives you a 165 iron with a little topspin using Callaway s ball.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 4:52 AM

Choppography:
    YJ, you have noticed a ball rolls out farther on approaches with different speeds, right?

The only time I've noticed green speed making a difference is on holes like BPB15-front pin-and CCC14 where the ball will roll backwards after landing. On the slower greens it doesn't do this but I'm talking more about the OP's example where you are looking at substantial roll after landing.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2012 5:31 AM

Buckeye8084:

I was taking a look at Bilko's site and the formula's they came up with for wind. Mine were different and appear to be off even though they were pretty accurate. I always used a .58 value and they use a .43 I put that into my calculations and it seems to be far more accurate. This explains why on my original post why I was so long. I played the wind at about 26 extra yards and it should have been 19. 

You are correct with the clubs and balls you use ... The thing with SGTBilko's is it is a general all around estimated calculation which is good for players to get an idea of what to use and adjust accordingly. It cannot take into consideration the various club & ball distance length variance. For that one needs a much more detailed spreadsheet that takes those factors into calculation. Even then there is no exact Calc measure in this game that works perfect every time due to green speed, slope etc.

RSS