Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Famous Heckles

Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:50 AM (6 replies)
  • bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2012 8:27 AM

I’m compiling a list of these for a fun presentation I have to do in work at Christmas, and would appreciate any contributions people could give me. Let me give you a couple of examples:

A really turgid and angst-ridden play with only two characters (husband and wife), sitting in their kitchen doing a lot of soul-searching and hand-wringing. After about 2 hours, a doorbell was heard to ring, and a member of the now bored stiff audience shouted out, ‘Whoever it is, let them in!’

A particularly bad theatrical production of The Diary of Anne Frank. Lousy cast, terrible acting etc. Towards the end, when the Nazi storm troopers arrived, one wag in the audience advised, ‘She’s in the attic!’

And lastly, an old favourite that some of you may be familiar with.

The notorious Glasgow Empire in the 1960’s. A comedy double-act called Mike and Bernie Winters who were quite popular at the time for some reason. Mike (the straight one) often used to come on the stage on his own at the start of the show, and his brother would join him after a couple of minutes to a rapturous ovation (in theory!). On this occasion Mike had been going through his usual song and dance routine to a deafening silence, and despite all his best efforts the audience were starting to turn ugly.

Bernie thought he’d better get on quick so put his head through the curtains and pulled a funny face at the audience, as he always did. This was met with an excruciating silence, broken only by a lone voice from the shadows, ‘Oh my God, there’s two of them!’

Needless to say, Mike and Bernie never played Glasgow again.

All absolutely true, apparently. Anyone got any more?

Sean

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2012 8:32 AM

How about George Bush getting a shoe thrown at him by an Iraqi reporter?  :-D

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2012 8:50 AM

Cricket--- Shane Warne (while fielding in the deep), was getting stick over his weight..

Asked "Why the f*ck are you so fat ? ", he replied..

"Because every time I f*ck your Mother, she gives me a biscuit"..

Class response from a very classy bowler...Andy

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2012 9:24 AM

At a Roy 'Chubby' Brown gig...

Constant heckler gets up to go the bar, Chubby says "where the f*ck do you think you're going ? ", obviously looking for an opening to take the p*ss..

Quick as a flash the guy said " To find out what time the comedian's turning up ".

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Tue, Nov 27 2012 7:06 AM

Amazing what you can find on youtube. I was in high school at the time, and everyone was talking about this when it happened. I must agree, that Patrick Roy quip at the end may be the best retort/comeback/trash talk I've ever heard...

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:52 AM

Had to share this classic with you all. I'd forgotten all about it till someone reminded me recently. Warning - do not read on if you're easily offended.

For both quick wit and schoolyard vulgarity, it's hard to match Keating's predecessor as Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam's famous interjection:

Sir Winton Turnbull, a Country Party member, had been speaking on some matter or other, and announced "And after all, I'm a Country member". Whitlam quickly replied: "Yes, we remember".

Sean ;-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:50 AM

Lady Astor during a heated argument with Sir Winston Churchill said..

" If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee ".

To which Winston responded with equal heat and sincerity...

" And if I were your husband, I'd drink it "

Andy

RSS