Help › Forums

Re: USGA RULES, CLUB TYPE

Tue, Aug 1 2017 2:28 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 4:10 AM

HackWilson1930:

If the faces of the 2 sided chipper were exactly the same then it could be used as the putter under the putter exception rule.

No it wouldn't, the rule exception is for a putter.  A double sided chipper, due to it having more than a 10 degree loft,  doesn't fall into the less than 10 degree loft regulation for putters therefore it doesn't qualify under the exception. Since a standard chipper falls under the single face rule it would be legal as would any other single faced club in ones bag.

• dales20
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jul 28 2017 1:07 PM

I've been told that one of these chippers (2 faced) constitutes two clubs, so you could have 12 clubs plus the 2 faced chipper in your bag and be legal...

Thots?

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Jul 28 2017 7:45 PM

dales20:

I've been told that one of these chippers (2 faced) constitutes two clubs, so you could have 12 clubs plus the 2 faced chipper in your bag and be legal...

Thots?

Thots?   On the day you joined WGT, why did you dig up a 4 year old thread about this issue?  Seriously, that's the most important question you have?

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jul 29 2017 9:43 AM

http://golftips.golfweek.com/two-way-chippers-legal-20349.html

"Two-way chippers are illegal. The United States Golf Association, the governing body for the sport in North America, sets forth the applicable standard in Rule 4-1d. It states that a clubhead shall have "only one striking face except putters with similar faces....

... the USGA's "Rules of Golf" require putters to have less than 10 degrees of loft...."

The clubhead design itself is illegal. Trying to claim it as two clubs doesn't fix that.

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Sat, Jul 29 2017 10:21 AM

phred952:

dales20:

Thots?

Thots?   On the day you joined WGT, why did you dig up a 4 year old thread about this issue?  Seriously, that's the most important question you have?

More importantly is how they even know how to navgate the forum and pull up a 4 year old thread is what has me curious . Plus how the thread got throughmoderation so quick ? The mods must really be busy with other tasks to slip on this . I wonder if this is just an announcement that they are back under a new account . No stats nothing played and no activity other than this post .

• Cuber
    102 Posts
    Sat, Jul 29 2017 1:06 PM

In light of the upcoming Andyson Memorial it's nice to see an old laugh from Dennis about putting with a 2 faced chipper

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Jul 29 2017 8:30 PM

Cuber:
    In light of the upcoming Andyson Memorial it's nice to see an old laugh from Dennis about putting with a 2 faced chipper

Yes it was

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:30 PM

dales20:

Thots?

My thoughts are that you should not believe everything you're told. Do the necessary due diligence and verify what you are told using reliable sources, like the USGA rule book.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Aug 1 2017 2:28 PM

phred952:

dales20:

Thots?

Benefit of the 'dot'   maybe he Google searched regarding the 2 headed chipper and look at second result.  Then.....he went through the troble of signing up to post?  ;-)

"2 head chipper legal" 

• PAGES
RSS