Forums

Help › Forums

USGA RULES, CLUB TYPE

Tue, Aug 1 2017 2:28 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • shamher
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jul 29 2013 6:47 PM

I play on Sundays with 10  to 20 men, We play by  USGA  Rules,Tournament format , We have 1 person that has a double sided chipper .I told him if we are playing USGA rules he is not alowed to us that club. He says it i leagle. I dont agree. I say its not leagle.. What is the  ruleing on the club??? Double sided chipper.......                                                THANKS FOR YOUR HELP   SHAMHER

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 5:55 AM

Two-way chippers are illegal:

"d. Striking Faces

Appendix II, 4d states that:

The clubhead must only have one striking face, except that a putter may have two such faces if their characteristics are the same, and they are opposite each other.

The exception for putters was introduced in order to accommodate traditional blade‑type putters.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:27 AM

I'd tell him it is legal, keep it in your bag.

But you have to putt with it. (per the above rule)

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:10 AM

andyson:

LOL I have to agree with Andy here. Tell him he can use it just has to dump his putter and that he is fully legal as long as he uses it for puttin! Bright side is he could add another wedge, wood whatever =)

Mes.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:24 PM

andyson:

Wrong...

• A standard chipper is legal under the Rules of Golf. USGA Rule 4-1/3 defines a chipper as “an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees.” Some manufacturers sell double-sided chippers, which have two striking surfaces. These clubs are illegal under the rules, which state that the club head can "have only one striking face."

The only exception to the single face rule is the traditional blade type putter. A single face club of any  type would be legal since there is no rules regarding what club you can use on any surface of a golf course in an event played under usga sanctioned rules. However a country club may apply restrictions for surfaces on non usga sanctioned events or daily use.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:53 PM

I guess I'm a bit confused.  I don't see how using one of your 14 clubs for a double-faced "chipper" would be beneficial.  What club do you give up?  Also, wouldn't you only be able to hit one side of the club if you aren't ambidextrous? 

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 8:00 PM

Oldbayrunner:
    Wrong...

I know.  It was a joke! 

Imagine putting with it?

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 8:39 PM

I thought it was legal as long as used with putting stroke... hmmmm

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2013 8:52 PM

If the faces of the 2 sided chipper were exactly the same then it could be used as the putter under the putter exception rule. However, why would you have a 2 faced chipper that was the same on both sides? Is the purpose of the 2 faced chipper to give you 2 clubs thus circumventing the 14 club bag limit? Under the rules as stated the 2 faced club is not allowed for just this circumstance.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 3:53 AM

andyson:

Oldbayrunner:
    Wrong...

I know.  It was a joke! 

Imagine putting with it?

LOL....might help on aerated greens I used get to play on sometimes. You know the ones with more dimples than a golf ball.

• PAGES
RSS