Help › Forums

Re: Changing Tiers

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 8 2010 4:19 PM (6 replies)
  • charleyhorse29
    2 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 12:48 AM

I Roally got Screwed

Has anybody else had an issue with how you change tiers.  Let me tell you what happened to me.

I am fairly new and have been playing for only a few weeks.  I was bumped to Pro not too long ago which was great, I could get new clubs and the game was more realistic.  It was fun even though I was still not able to shoot par or be competitive.

Then this week(32) there was the Kiawah front 9 unlimited play tourney.  I played and was able to almost shoot Par.  I played this tourney over & over, some 40-50 times.  I finally posted a 31 or -5 which at this time is tied for 28 place.  I wasn't going to win but a few credits, but I thought at least I was able to get close to 30th on the Pro tier.

Little did I know that by playing Kiawah (The easiest course) over & over until I was shooting Par or under that I would be bumped to Master tier.  I have not shot Par on any other course, nor have I been competitive in any other tourney, yet I was still moved up a level. 

What can I do?  I was not competitive until I played Kiawah front 9 50 x's, still tied for 28th 3 shots back.  Now I can't even shoot Par on Kiawah since Master tier.  Does anybody have advice/help, or similar situations.  Wouldn't a truer reflection of ability be attained if scores from all the courses were included, not just the front 9 at Kiawah. 

I feel deeply set back and if I really wasn't that competitive as a Pro tier how can you possibly be competitive at Master tier.   

Please respond    I need to here something to brighten my outlook on WGT,  cause Im not gonna shell out for new clubs when there is no way I can compete, with the increased difficulty of Master Tier.                                                    Good Luck Everybody and Happy Golfing

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:26 PM

Charley... I feel for you but multiple warnings have been posted in the forums about just this dilemma.  Others, who have coveted becoming a "Master", have played only Kiawah (generally the back 9) so that they could accelerate the process.

You may now have to "tough up" and learn to play at your new level since there is no going back... it is a one way door.

Nevertheless, you bring up a good point:  Perhaps to become Master a golfer should have to post solid rounds on all 4 courses, not just one course???  WGT???

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:04 PM

Avery good point made by Charley actually. Was this suggested in the past I wonder.

• TarheelsRule
    5,550 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:18 PM
    This has been suggested. I also have suggested that the handicap be much more heavily influenced by 18 hole rounds than 9 hole rounds. Currently I think you need 12 rounds, last 12 to calculate your handicap. You can play 6 rounds at Kiawah on the backside and 6 at St Andrews on the front and probably be a master if you have decent talent. I would like to see an 18 hole round count much more than a 9 hole round. I find it much easier to throw out 6 under on 9 holes than 12 under on 18 and you definitely won't quit as much if you are trying to post 18 hole scores. I would suggest that we don't let the 9 hole rounds count toward your handicap if they can't count as half a round.
  • Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:34 PM

Very good ideas TR, makes perfect sense.

I wonder whether WGT have taken notice of this suggestions and wheter they have got plans to introduce, even if in stages, such system.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 4:04 PM

TarheelsRule:
    Currently I think you need 12 rounds, last 12 to calculate your handicap.

Hey Tarheels,

It's actually your 10 best of your last 14 stroke rounds played. Here is an excerpt from the FAQ's.

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score is the weighted average of your ten best out of your last fourteen stroke play scores (Practice rounds are not included). Your most recent scores are weighted more heavily to ensure there is no "sandbagging".

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 4:19 PM

Hi Charleyhorse,

Here is a link to the FAQ's that will give you a better understanding of what just happened to you, and your tier advancement.

About being a Master, don't let it scare you, it's not that bad. You need to play some practice rounds with your upgraded equipment and also play some match play rounds with the friends you know won't quit. Get used to hitting your long irons, and putting on the faster greens. You'll be competeing in no time.

Good luck, and happy hitting!

RSS