Re: multiplayer courses

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:54 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 4:13 PM

ligerwoods62:

I agree with AGArgent.  I think 15 at bethpage is the hardest hole we play.  9 at oakmont is a close... close second.  Those are the only holes where i don't kick myself after making bogey. 

Yeah, Oakmont #9 is pretty bearish as well but I can par it with some regularity if I lay up and then stick a 3rd shot. But bloody 15 at BP? Ain't no stickin' nuthin'. A scorching 3 iron ain't gonna stick to too much too often and a lay up there and you're  in 8 feet of rough or the bunker from hell so you're gonna hit your 3rd shot most awry and then ya gotta putt on a  green that's somewhat akin to the backside of Everest. Most of the "others" that appear in my stats box gotta be from Ol' 15 so yeah, liger, a 5 there is most acceptable and the very few times I've parred the bugger, it's usually the proverbial the-hole-got-in-the-way fluke. But one of these days I'm gonna bird the cruel thing and jump up and pump a fist or two.

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 4:54 PM

I have to disagree with SP about #15 at BPB..... I always know that I am not going to make a three so it is either a 4 5 6 or 7 on that one.

The 9th at Oakmont is just not a fair hole in any way.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 4:57 PM

The way I judge hole difficulty is by ability to make birdie and there's no question that Oakmont #9 is far and away the toughest hole in this game to birdie.

Birdie can be had at BPB 15 but I usually on play for par and make it 95% of the time.  Simply knock second shot into the bunker front right of green and learn that shot.  I've holed more than 10 birdies from that trap whereas I've probably only putted 6 or 7 on that front pin.  Have made a couple on the back pin.

On the contrary Oakmont #9 is IMPOSSIBLE to get anything near on second shot.  I've also found the best way to play that hole is from the front right bunker and have knocked a couple in from there too.  I have only ever made 2 pars when going for and landing on the green.  Anything you get on the green is almost a certain 3 putt.

BPB #7 with the front right pin tucked behind the trap is a tough birdie.  I've made 4 or 5 but always by draining a 40+ ft putt.

STA #17 is not an easy hole but doesn't compare to those regarding difficulty.  Unless I can bomb a drive inside 130yds I play right of the trap and have learned those 22 -30 putts pretty well.  I've made way more birdies than bogeys on that one.

I'm sure it makes a difference using master equipment (which I have for so long I can't remember the shots with other clubs) so please factor that into my assessment.

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 6:32 PM

TarheelsRule:

I have to disagree with SP about #15 at BPB..... I always know that I am not going to make a three so it is either a 4 5 6 or 7 on that one.

The 9th at Oakmont is just not a fair hole in any way.

But let's not forget that when they someday move the pins at Oakmont and maybe  #9 don't play as difficult, then we ain't having this discussion. But with BP #15, it will not matter where the pin is placed. The personality of the hole will always remain intact and that is a personality of  a very challenging nature. It's the design of the course. It cannot be made easier with a different pin placement. That's the difference. BP 15 has to be the king of hard golf. For us, anyway.

• bpierce749
    116 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 6:34 PM

Richard4168:

Oakmont - Pretty much the whole course is difficult for me except for 2, 6, 11, 17. I've had a bad taste in my mouth with this course since "The Championship". My best Tournament score was a 68.

Richard I wish i could break 75 on Oakmont i get 80 or higher

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:54 PM

• PAGES
RSS