Forums

Help › Forums

Re: why does everyone decline to want to play?

Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:49 AM (9 replies)
  • BanjoTX
    66 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 4:52 PM

I'm very new to this... I enjoy the game... but I've tried a great number of times to play beyond stroke play and everyone declines or quits? I guess my stats must be really bad, but I'm trying hard to learn....

Banjo

• riskplayer
    253 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:48 AM

Everyone who starts this game, their stats are similar to yours. You are leveling up the right way. Don't play higher ranked players in match play. Stick with the starter clubs until level 59. You will by then, have developed a good short game. When you get to level 59 get the full set of G 20;s. They should carry you to legend and then you will have to upgrade some more. At your level you should get a couple of decent wedges. Learn them well. The short game is mucho important. Take your time leveling up and when you get those G20;s you will become a much better player overnight. I sent a friend invite and will help in any way I can.  When you get to level 39 i will buy you a great first wedge. This will help you a lot.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 12:24 PM

Joining a good country club would be a good move.

• Talluin
    257 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 12:33 PM

fantastic new club website here

Some people are elitist and won't play with lowbies.  I had a similar problem when i first started but joining a country club with players of all levels would be a great way to play with others and make new friends !

Tal

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 10:37 PM

riskplayer:
    Stick with the starter clubs until level 59.
    That's a long time to wait (88,000 XPs), too long for many to stick with the low quality Starters. Some better equipment in between paves the way to more fun. For a low budget, a R11 3WD, two wedges and cheapo WGT balls...

riskplayer:
    When you get to level 59 get the full set of G 20;s.
    This!

Another 112,000 XPs to level 79...

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:42 AM

I wish I had the credits to buy you what you want, but I don't unfortunately.

Patience is the name of the game, and use your time wisely in the lower levels to learn all the shots and the courses without any pressure.

Join a CC by all means, but don't expect to be competitive, make friends and learn from your peers.

You will be amazed at how generous some people can be, I have personal experience of this from a long time ago, and I never forget.

• Fekdrink
    138 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 2:03 AM

Hi BanjoTX.

Lots of sound advice so far. Having been through the early stages of the game but a few months ago, I can fully empathise with your situation. I think alosso's advice re the wedges is very good and would hang on until Level 42 to buy the Ping Tour 60 and 64 degree wedges. At only 200 credits each, they're arguably the best bang per bucks in the Pro Shop and will help dramatically. I'd also hold out until Level 48 for the TaylorMade TP R1 9.0 driver. Decently long and as a relative newbie, very forgiving. I still use it, even though at Level 87 I could have bought many other drivers.

If you're interested in how I tackled the problems you now encounter you may find this thread enlightening

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/170065.aspx

Good luck, Fekdrink.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 5:01 AM

Maybe it's the banjo. Deliverance didn't do much for the banjo image, ya know. Oh, that wasn't Texas, never mind.  ;-)

Kidding aside, Courteney's advice is good and followed up by the perfect opportunity. I'd look up Talluin. GL.

• BanjoTX
    66 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:45 AM

Hi Risk!!!

Thank you for all the advise and even more the friendship.... I've always like golf, but now too old physically to get out and learn the game... played bunches of putt putt and C64 computer golf... I really like it here!!! AND i'm starting to get a chance to play more TOO.

Thank you again brother!!! I hope all you holes are 19ths with a smile!

Banjo

riskplayer:

Everyone who starts this game, their stats are similar to yours. You are leveling up the right way. Don't play higher ranked players in match play. Stick with the starter clubs until level 59. You will by then, have developed a good short game. When you get to level 59 get the full set of G 20;s. They should carry you to legend and then you will have to upgrade some more. At your level you should get a couple of decent wedges. Learn them well. The short game is mucho important. Take your time leveling up and when you get those G20;s you will become a much better player overnight. I sent a friend invite and will help in any way I can.  When you get to level 39 i will buy you a great first wedge. This will help you a lot.

• BanjoTX
    66 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:49 AM

Hi Courteney!!

Thank you for the advice! I'm going to look into that VERY soon....

I hope you have a fantastic day!

Banjo 

courteneyfish:

Joining a good country club would be a good move.

RSS