Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Caddies need to be smarter...

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 10 2010 11:45 PM (6 replies)
  • overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:39 AM

We've all had this happen: we're on the green putting from about 25-30ft.  It's also downhill.  You prefer to play your shots quickly so you naturally assume the in-game caddies lined up a 30ft putt for you because that's what anything with half a brain would do when you have a 27 or so foot putt.  But no, you realise at the last moment it gave you a 60ft stick and you 3 putt.  wtf, this game really needs smarter caddies.  Not to mention the times they pick a club too much on approach shots (you get used to it, but the putting still catches you out because you'd assume that any sane system would give you 30ft off a 29ft putt)...

• HussainAkbar
    43 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 2:23 AM

Can WGT add a complaints' register so caddies who give wrong clubs may be reported?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 4:53 AM

Personally I object to automatically shooting up the default putter on the fringe. However, in general, the caddy in WGT is supposed to be based on average conditions. Unlike a real caddy, it is not supposed to warn the player of specific circumstances that the player should notice and deal with as part of his or her individual strategy (such as speed and break of putts, effects of wind or elevation changes, etc.) That stuff is a major part of the WGT game.

PS. You can always report 'bugs' that appear during game play (the menu should come up when you right-click on the mouse on the game screen). An absurd caddy suggestion could be regarded as a bug in the game play.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:28 AM

Maybe, down the road, WGT could implement "real" caddies through the pro shop.  For say $2 a round the caddie would actually give you sage advice, account for terrain and wind and actually help you line up putts.  He'd even give you swing tips in the chat box.  Not to mention sharing his flask of single-malt scotch with you!

• Evo5754
    31 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:53 AM

The  Game with the caddies is great and it should keep you aware of your surroundings.

All games this type of input were you make the final decisions on the club choice and movement on the greens.

I mean you don't see the real world golfers always agreeing with there caddies so in my opinion it is a little realistic rather then a bug / glitch.

Thanks all the best Evo

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Aug 31 2010 8:00 AM

To me the caddy function is almost useless....almost always gives me one more club than I need, unless the shot is to an elevated position.  On the greens the caddy often makes mistakes because there is no consideratin for the uphill or downhill slope of the green; not to mention the fringe issue in the OP.

I truly believe we would be better off without the caddy function at all...then we would have to make a human based determination for every stroke taken...with such a system, at least we would not be caught with the wrong club or meter because we forgot to evaluate the caddy's selection(s). 

At the least, WGT, might give us the capacity to turn the current caddy "off", so as to force human selection for each stroke.

Harve

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Fri, Sep 10 2010 11:45 PM
    No really guys fix this, 27ft 4 in downhill and it still takes out the 60 footer wtf is wrong with this???
RSS