Forums

Help › Forums

Re: physics need overhaul...

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 7 2010 7:04 AM (5 replies)
  • longball2006
    60 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:29 PM

I am re-stating this, because it obviously was overlooked the first time.  Into a headwind, a dinged shot should have a higher % affected when using a short iron versus a driver.  That is mr. obvious making that call.  I can't tell you how many times I lose 15-20 yards with my driver with overspin, versus a 9-iron with center-english losing ONE yard.  Sure, I could get used to it, but if you are trying to be as realistic as possible...go all the way.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:48 PM

longball2006:
    Into a headwind, a dinged shot should have a higher % affected when using a short iron versus a driver.

How do you figure?

I'm quite sure it would affect the driver more.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:59 PM

longball2006:
      I can't tell you how many times I lose 15-20 yards with my driver with overspin,

You're driving the ball into the ground earlier with top spin. Yes, it supposed to roll after but it hits the ground earlier than is has to. With back spin you'll create "rise" and stay in the air longer. That would be Mr. Obvious talking there too,. Put full backspin on the drive into the wind. Get it up in the air and sail!  :-)

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:23 PM

CharlemagneRH:
    longball2006:
    Into a headwind, a dinged shot should have a higher % affected when using a short iron versus a driver.

How do you figure?

I'm quite sure it would affect the driver more.

And the reason I say that is this: Air resistance is based on the square of velocity, i.e. v to the power of 2.  If you are going 80 mph, you will be subjected to four times as much air resistance as you will at 40 mph. 

The 9-iron, only experiencing about 35 mph of air resistance normally (horizontally,) will experience 55 mph of air resistance into a head wind, whereas a driver, which experiences something along the lines of 110 mph of air resistance, would be forced to deal with130 mph of air resistance when hit into a 20 mph head wind, making it lose its forward momentum rather quickly.

• longball2006
    60 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:16 PM

more spin=more lift, which means wind affects a rising shot more than a boring shot.  At my level of play, I am well aware that a shot that spends more time in the air is more adversely affected by wind, period.  Last I checked, a 9-iron spends more time in the air than a driver.  and the dimples are why the ball travels so far...your wind resistance theory would be effective on a ball with no dimpes.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 7:04 AM

longball2006:
    Last I checked, a 9-iron spends more time in the air than a driver.

really? 

more time in the air relative to the distance traveled, yes. But overall? I doubt that is always true. Go grab a friend, a stopwatch, a driver and a 9 iron and head to your nearest range. Test it out. I'd guess that the time of flight would be rather similar if you averaged out the flight time of several hits from each club. 

If you hit your driver really low, then no, it's not going to be close.

RSS