Help › Forums

Deleted Post

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 9 2014 2:02 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:42 AM

Best damn music is blues. Algreen style music. 

That said different mood need different harmonic

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Tue, Feb 4 2014 1:43 PM

I  am also one of the "Damned" who consider music to be an intergral part of their life, yet can't play an instrument for nuthin'. Grew up with 50's music " The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Loved a bunch of tunes that came out of Motown in the early 60's. Hit my stride with psychedelia & rock n' roll in the late 60's through the 70's. 80's and 90's got into some hair & grunge & techno but to the present, have never lost my appreciation of any genre, from classical to acid rockabilly.

Doc :)

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Feb 4 2014 8:57 PM

Well, as a 11yo I got my first radio and began listning to it on the bus to school.

A song which has stuck with me from those days was Sugar Baby Love - The Rubettes.

My First single at 15yo was The Rocky theme - Sad huh? I saw the movie 15 times.

My First LP Record was Leo Sayer - Endless Flight. Still love Leo and that album.

Second Album was ELO - A New Word Record.

ThenI began working in a record store after school and I loved that job coz all the girls would come and hang out after school as well, Cliff the boss left it up to me and the girls to play whatever we liked which piped through the store and onto the street.  (attracting other teen spenders)

We played a lot of Aussie music back them, AC/DC , Skyhooks , Sherbet and songs by The Sweet/ Stones, Meatloaf etc.

Then my real taste in music evolved.

Sometime later I was introduced to that evil weed.

My Music taste improved for the better.

Evolving from that point, Pink floyd, Osibisa, Mike Oldfield, ELP, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Patti Smith, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Tim Buckley (jeffs dad) Bruce Springsteen,  Talking Heads, The Animals etc etc.

I enjoyed many years of great music in my teens 78 - 85 but always prefering old school 70's rock and Punk.

IN 1992 I landed a role in an Entertainment Promotions Co. Eventually rising to manager, I promoted Nighclubs and Bands in our city, leading a bohemian life my work was mainly between  9pm and 9am. I had hair down to my butt and wore leather jeans.

I was involved in the establishment of The Hard Rock Cafe in Australia.

This all somewhat changed my taste and during that time (and still today) favour many alternative and underground bands , non-mainstream.

In 1982 I began to learn to play guitar, played in a couple of bands and still play non commercially today. I have written several songs - none in any charts.

I hate cover bands.
    I believe any band should write their own music even during their growth stage and many great Aussie bands today started like this.
    I spent 4 years as a promotions Manager for a radio station and although I was once again living in a world of mainstream music, I still kept an eye on the local australian band circuit.

Now after other jobs in unrelated positions I still listen to alternative radio and play my guitar with friends.

These days you will still find me listening to  Pink Floyd, BIG fan of Patti Smith (see my wall), Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, David Byrne, Brian Eno..   far far too many to mention.

I have discovered all kinds of new music and like bands such as the Cocteau twins, Jack White, Theivery Corporation,  far to many to list.

My MP3 library totals approx 1TB of music with more than 90,000 songs. Including Classical Music, POP, Rock, Dance, Techo, ambient, Fusion, Hip Hop, Underground, Alternative, and even some Metal.

\m/   rock on party dudes!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:07 PM

Great stuff Shrude - who could well be my long lost twin brother!

I suppose you listen to Triple J too?

Shine on you crazy diamond.

ps nice to see you back.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Feb 5 2014 2:22 AM

alanti:
    who could well be my long lost twin brother!

I think I am , are yu the wealthy one?

alanti:
    Triple J

Yep, although some of the shows are downright dumb these days.

I was a DJ on Oz's first FM station as well 7CAE-FM

alanti:
    Shine on you crazy diamond.

Welcome to the Machine!

alanti:
    ps nice to see you back.

Cheers big ears! :)

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, Feb 5 2014 2:42 AM

Thanks for the input folks. Very interesting to see how some of us evolved musically.

SHRUDE:

I hate cover bands.
    I believe any band should write their own music even during their growth stage and many great Aussie bands today started like this.

Aint that the truth. Nothing like a music wannanbe, or a hard up music star to murder a great classic.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Feb 5 2014 7:21 PM

TWOMINUSONE:
    Aint that the truth.

You bet!

I have heard the phrase "great cover band"

I say WTF?  if you cant play your instruments great then you shouldnt be in a band.

Its not hard to play covers all night long. Slightly harder to do them well.

There are some good cover bands that take the whole band theme in play - Pink Floyd Bands etc. They do go all out in providin great lighting and effects and even get the hair and costumes down pat.

Imagine the extra success these musos would have if they got off their ar$e, stopped riding on Original Bands success and CREATE their OWN personalities.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 4:22 PM

SHRUDE:

TWOMINUSONE:
    Aint that the truth.

You bet!

I have heard the phrase "great cover band"

I say WTF?  if you cant play your instruments great then you shouldnt be in a band.

Its not hard to play covers all night long. Slightly harder to do them well.

There are some good cover bands that take the whole band theme in play - Pink Floyd Bands etc. They do go all out in providin great lighting and effects and even get the hair and costumes down pat.

Imagine the extra success these musos would have if they got off their ar$e, stopped riding on Original Bands success and CREATE their OWN personalities.

I think you have to take into account the venues to play in front of people. In this area there are a lot of clubs that host cover bands. I believe the cover band idea is a product of the ability to play in front of people. These clubs want bands to play music their paying customers will already know and like. That brings in the people and gets drinks sold. I know a lot of these "musos" as you call them and they're certainly not sitting on their asses. Most around here are more mature people who have regular jobs and families but they play in these cover bands to make an extra buck and to just play in front of people with others that have a love of music and performing no matter how small the crowd. I did it last night and "thank" you very much.

With that in mind there are also venues that host original music bands that aren't big name acts. It's very hard to even get an opportunity to play at these places because there's lots of people who believe they have the talent to entertain folks with their own music. I was one of them for nearly 15 years. I poured my guts out and all I got in the end was hungry. Don't remember ever sitting on my ass thinking anything would just come to me. "Thank" you very much again.

Our definitions of the word "thank" as used in my post may be very different.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2014 4:43 PM

Cool Post..

I was born in 1955. I had two older sisters so the music they listened too became my first favorites..You know, classic pop, rock. Everley Brothers, Little Richard, Chuck Barry, Elvis Presley.

Then I was exposed too early 60.s pop music such as the birds, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.

All this time on TV we had early variety shows. and sing along with Mitch. Lawrence Welk show was a major hit, Mom made me watch that. Fortunately for me dad like the Red Skelton show  etc.

My first album was bought more for mom than me. It was a Henry Mancini album. (summer of 42  stuff like that. The first album I really wanted was Chicago Transit Authority.

I played horn in school so along with Blood, Sweat, and Tears, Chicago, Chase, then lastly, Tower of Power became favorites. Don't forget all the great blues music we got to listen too.

My most fav was the Motown sound  (horn influence again)

In the background to all of this I loved big band Jazz from the 40's (moms influence again) then later, Buddy Rich and Maynard Ferguson's big bands of the early 70's.

All that lead to Fusion Jazz and 50's style combo jazz such as Miles Davis and so on.

You could,nt live in my generation without popular radio music so Im still tuned into whats happening in music today

These days I just play my sax whenever its requested and play whatever gets called by the band leaders. We play by ear and what is written by others on manuscript. Its been a great hobby over the years. Cant make a living playing for 50-100$ per night but im grateful to be able to enjoy all music.

• PAGES
RSS