Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Coaching

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:17 PM (8 replies)
  • Ivories78
    61 Posts
    Sun, Sep 12 2010 5:42 AM

I would like to suggest that the legend's of WGT make themselves available for coaching.

I have plateaued completely with my putting, I'm not doing so well and have lost complete confidence what I'm doing. It's got to the point that I'm missing the cup by a bee's whisker consistently and ending up with rounds -2 through -6 (on a good day).

It's getting frustrating. Yes, go to have a practice round, but what I want, and I believe a lot of other players of lower tiers would want the same, is feedback on what we're doing on the greens.

Is it possible for a legend to join in for a practice round, with the option of letting the legend having the capability to look at your club and power settings? As an insentive, I'd be happy to part with 50cr per practice round. I'm not looking for the magic potion to match with some of the better players, I want to get better at this, But it's harder without a 'coach'.

Would be awesome if it could be one of the upcoming upgrades.

Cheers

• Ivories78
    61 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:11 AM

Well Ivories, I couldn't agree more. I totally with you on this one, we should make it happen. I wonder what other people think of it?

Cheers,

Ivories

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:14 AM

Hard to say what your problem is.

It sounds like you're having all-around trouble, but mostly on the greens.

You did say one of the problems was your aim, but what about your distance?

All the aim in the world won't help you if you hit the putt 10 ft too far.  Work on distance first, then aim.

Putting is also extremely complicated, so it isn't like it can be explained in just a few sentences.  If it weren't complicated, it wouldn't be so darn difficult... ^_^

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:44 AM

That's something we have asked for before. That being, show the grids/elevation for everyone, at the very least in practice mode. I have no problem those not being shown in regular play, understand that could be taken advantage of.

It's hard to help anyone in putting without it. You can just give general advice, which really doesn't get you far, esp in putting. Seems like an idea WGT would warm up to, more interaction b/t players is a good thing. But it's been on the wish list for a while, but don't think it's ever made it on theirs unfortunately.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 7:14 AM

ivories, the best bet since we dont have what ncviz wrote, is to practice getting your approach closer to the hole leaving yourself shorter putts.  That alone should help you hole more putts.  Also, as CharleRH wrote, its not all about the aim, but the speed as well.  On some tricky breaking putts its easier for me to see the speed then the aim.  I can imagine the ball just falling in, or slamming into the cup.  Depending on the putt coming back I might try to ram it in taking away from the break.  And sometimes a 2 putt is just fine. 

Honestly, until we can see your grid its not going to help us help you.  Try working on your approach shots, aim for familiarly territory and that should start boosting your confidence.  Another idea is to dump the spider putter, and pick up a daytona.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 8:22 AM

Oh, and I'd also point out that another reason why distance is the foundation and key to great putting is because a softer putt will break more, whereas a stronger putt will break less.  Three inches past the hole, 1-ft past the hole, and 2-ft past the hole -- all shots that can easily find the bottom of the cup and have their own uses, but if you were to line up a 5-ft-or-longer putt with a decent amount of break to it, only one of those putts is going to go in from that line.

Pretty much anytime someone misses a putt on the high side of the break, they will curse themselves for playing for too much break, but you'll rarely ever hear "I hit that one too hard" (unless it screams 5-8 ft past the hole,) even though a softer putt would've allowed it to break more and go in.  They think their problem is aim, and it very well could be, but you could just as easily blame it on distance.

So not only is distance the key to making your second putt a tap-in, and giving yourself at least  a decent shot at sinking the putt, but it is absolutely required in order to aim well.  Without knowing exactly how far your putt is going to go, and thus knowing almost exactly how much it's going to break, you might as well not even worry about dinging your aim click.

• Ivories78
    61 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:09 PM

neildiamond11790:
    Honestly, until we can see your grid its not going to help us help you.

You see, that would be excellent. Why doesn't that happen if you so choose? Unless it's some technological nightmare, if you were to see my grid and offer advice i.e. 'go wider...keep in the power needed etc...' that would be helpful.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:42 PM

The grid, your power meter and how you are hitting the ball would also be needed.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:17 PM

The funny thing is, the grid used to show up for the other players when I first started playing.

RSS