Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Ham Radio Operators On WGT

Mon, Mar 24 2014 3:19 PM (7 replies)
  • josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sun, Mar 23 2014 11:27 PM

Hi,

Name here is Joe & I was just wondering if there are any Ham Radio operators (Amateur Radio) on here.

I am currently living close to Walt Disney World in a apartment. So had to put up an indoor 40 meter dipole (shortened of course with 2 traps) to work SSB from my new MFJ-9440x

transceiver. It was extremely frustrating to put up to say the least. But managed with some 20 lb. plastic drywall hooks & some fishing line...lol

So if any of you are on the air at night; 0100 UTC ( Monday through Friday)time & would like to try and chat or exchange call signs , locations just reply to this post.

QRP SSB Calling Frequency for 40 meters U.S.A : 7.285 MHz

Thanks & 73's

Joe

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 9:39 AM

Hopefully some HAM's will read this eventually. l heard some strong transmissions (5x8) last night after putting up( 0023 to 0114 UTC) my antenna. One was from Virginia and the other was from Indiana. Not bad reception for an indoor antenna. I think it's due to the building being old and not having too much  steel & concrete in it. Anyway I'm very happy with my set up and may even take it portable this summer to some of my local parks.

73's

Joe

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 10:19 AM

Ok. I googled this but it still didn't make sense:

An amateur radio operator is someone who uses equipment at an amateur radio station to engage in two-way personal communications with other amateur operators on radio frequencies assigned to the amateur radio service

What is a ham radio operator and what do you do? Is it like skype?

Oh and what is "73's"?

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 10:50 AM

sweetmiffy:
    what is "73's"?

It's "Phillips Code" (used by Ham Operators) for Best Regards, Miffster. Except it is 73 with no "s" as 73 is already plural.

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:03 AM

man - if gilligan and the skipper could've bagged a wild boar - the professor may have just been able to make a ham radio and we'd not have gotten 10 seasons+ out of em :)

• 420willie
    4 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 12:12 PM

KE6TIG don't have a radio anymore.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 1:11 PM

Thank you for the correction; I was not paying attention after being up all night.

And to anwser the other question regarding Amateur Radio Operator (HAM).

Here in the U.S. you are licensed through the FCC after passing a written test and copying a morse code test as well; but that has changed since then.

There are priveledges with each license class held and you can talk around the world on the amateur bands if radio conditions are right.

There are also VHF/UHF frequencies that can be used for local radio transmissions; but can further your distance thru Repeater (Radio Towers) skipping. I've done this once from Fort.Lauderdale, Fl. across the Everglades to Naples, Fl. A 100 mile distance. Using a 45 watt handheld 2 meter VHF radio.

The most exciting part about Amateur Radio is:

Talking with others around the world on the H.F. bands

And helping out with emergency communications when a hurricane threatens the area.

Thanks Everyone for replying

Joe

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 3:19 PM

Hi Willie,

Thanks for your reply. You can easily upgrade to General license, now that they have changed the morse code part of it. I do not have the space for an outdoor antenna due to apartment restrictions. So instead I purchased a MFJ SSB 40 meter trasceiver; which fits nicely on my computer desk without moving anything. My antenna is a Van Gordan 40 meter shortened dipole ( model SD-40) which I put together (measure,cut,solder) and hung up around my bedroom ceiling. So it does not take much to get on the air even with limited space. Thanks again for your reply.

Joe

KE6TIG don't have a radio anymore.

RSS