Re: I think I've finally worked out...

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 31 2014 12:30 PM (5 replies)
  • sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 10:50 AM

..how you become really good.

Consistency.

I was invited to play by James (jimbog1964) and yes he annihilated me but occasionally I played a shot that was better than anything ANYONE could play.

But then I would play the dumbest shot ever. Followed by an okay shot...etc etc.

James just kept playing good shots. Some of them were great, but all of them were good.

And I think that's the key!

Just play each shot, one at a time and use all the time and think it through.

Of course I will totally ignore this and continue to play like a dork!

Hahahaha!

• Beryman
    9,098 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 11:12 AM

sweetmiffy:

James just kept playing good shots. Some of them were great, but all of them were good.

And I think that's the key!

thats  definitely a major part..... keep improving and soon others will be wanting to play like you   :)

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 11:24 AM

Yep.

It's sometime stated as "Stay in the moment".

The current shot is all that matters. 

Other keys are controlling your emotions, visualizing the shot you want to make, and keeping your concentration focused where it needs to be.

• ROBELLIOT
    234 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 11:32 AM

Totally get you there Sweetmffy , i just had a similar experience with a legend too..i didn't get a look in , my shots were erratic , one good ,one bad & on it went..not my finest hour by a long stretch. All we can do is carry on , try and cut out the mistakes because that's what all the good players have managed to do. 

Fear not, we'll have our time on the back tee's soon enough. Until then i'm just gonna  keep reminding my - self to have fun & not get too disappointed.  Hit Em straight folks !  

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 11:47 AM

I had the same experience with a tour Legend in a CC match play tourney. And I was playing decent. But he won 9 of 11 holes and the other 2 were halved. He just didn't miss a putt.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 12:30 PM

I've had 1 win in about 20 matches ( I think he was ill that day) against Jimbo, he's Mr. Consistent and a thoroughly nice guy into the bargain.

RSS