Help › Forums

Re: Breaking the Bank to Legend Tier

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 24 2014 9:50 PM (6 replies)
  • TuckerPrestonJr
    1,380 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:56 PM

Victory!

On April 20th, I advanced to Legend Tier after 18 months and 540 rounds.  I spent 6 months as a Tour Master and melted my average down to 61.5 before being advanced. 

Since, I’ve read a number of threads about how and when one becomes a Legend, and specifically if there is any non-scoring criteria.

I firmly believe you can “Break the Bank” and accelerate your advancement.  WGT is a profit making venture.  If WGT sees a player entering tier-based RGs and winning credits, paying the 100c fee but cashing 200c and 300c paydays – well, that player will be hustled up to the next tier fast.  It stops the bleeding for WGT.

The possibility first occurred to me when I advanced to Tour Master even though prior to my advancement, I seemed to be still short (but close) of the statistical measures.  I had been hot in TM RGs prior to my advancement.

Recently, as Legend tier entered the realm of the possible, I decided to make it economically smart for WGT to promote me now and I would thus try to “break the bank” by entering Kiawah B9 TM RGs.

I had reviewed RG apples-to-apples results.   I learned I turned a profit or broke even at -3 under, and I could shoot that.  I won one, tied for first but lost a tie breaker, top 5s and 12s.   I piled up the -5, -6 unders.  My career earnings went from high $50s to $77.73 in a short time.  And then the “phone call” came – I was a Legend.

I’ll note that if I had been entering non-tier based RGs, WGT would have no need to advance me or benefit from doing so.  The tier-based component is key.

I was close to advancement prior to my winnings, so it could be a coincidence, that good play merely shows why I was advanced. My experience tells that “breaking the bank” can accelerate your advancement. Fast tracked, if you will.

Thoughts?

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 4:42 PM

Congrats on your promotion.  I've seen you in action and your a very good player.

There might be some truth at what your saying and also you might be clutching at straws.

I've noticed every time I was close to Promotion....  the doors opend up for me to shoot great scores.   Boy o Boy, did I enjoy the ride.  I always thought that Wgt was giving me a green card allowing me to shoot very low scores, which I didn't mind.

Move on now and don't worry about it...  happens to everybody (right or wrong, doesn't matter)   Your off the Blacks now...  and it's not that bad as long as you don't get discouraged.

Just have Fun

-Roger

• TuckerPrestonJr
    1,380 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:04 PM

Thanks!   I can assure you  that I am not worried in the least, I am simply talking out a theory, an idea.  Can you break the bank to a higher tier?  I say yes. 

You must read a lot posts from navel gazers!!! LOL

• TuckerPrestonJr
    1,380 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:08 PM

Also, I would like to add your advice on putting and back spin on approaches were key to my improvement from TM to legend. Thank you.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:30 PM

TuckerPrestonJr:

Also, I would like to add your advice on putting and back spin on approaches were key to my improvement from TM to legend. Thank you.

Thank you

Yeah, I noticed you were playing great shots to green, but were running on way too far. Just try and learn the amount of spin now you use for your approaches, difference in quite a few yards with different spins on each club.

I'm not saying I'm a good player, but always willing to give some handy hints to others.

-Roger

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 8:23 PM

Be mindful though , you have just been moved back further on the tees . Get ready to upgrade your driver . You will not only want distance , but also loft . The green speeds are also faster , but you are now about to have the best time ever . Your average is also about to change , but not to worry . You will have to play 500 ranked rounds , before it saturates again . So dont worry about bad rounds , because they wont matter in the end .

Congrats on making Legend , and welcome to the parking lot . Play well and have fun . :-)

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 9:50 PM

Congrats! Welcome to the tips - enjoy the views!

TuckerPrestonJr:
    I firmly believe you can “Break the Bank” and accelerate your advancement.  WGT is a profit making venture.  If WGT sees a player entering tier-based RGs and winning credits, paying the 100c fee but cashing 200c and 300c paydays – well, that player will be hustled up to the next tier fast.  It stops the bleeding for WGT.

Correct concerning the facts. Winning credits (and winning match play against higher tiers) may accelerate the promotion. This is over as a Legend.

Alas, you did not hurt the company but rather the fellow players below break-even. They pay the payout credits plus the rake.

The positive effect for our host is the new Pro Shop spendings, and, indirectly, the better chances for other players in the lower tiers.

Negative for those who push too hard: They may experience a dry spell, being blocked from appropriate equipment by their low level.

RSS