Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wind...

Sun, May 11 2014 8:38 AM (2 replies)
  • spy88
    205 Posts
    Sat, May 10 2014 11:34 AM

I would like to propose to WGT the idea of a  "windless" (or near calm) day once per month.  It could be called "Windlessday" and maybe scheduled on the first Wednesday of each month.

I do know why WGT exaggerates the wind on almost every rated round in both direction and speed.  And yes, I also realize that wind can help one's play.  But most of what we are subjected to is not realistic

I've done research on all but 1 of the courses WGT offers regarding the average monthly wind speed tracked by historical norms for each.

Over a 12 month period, St. Andrews averages 11.75 mph, Royal St. Georges is 12.8, Bethpage is 10+, Congressional is 9+, Harbour Town is 6.5, Kiawah is 11.25, Merion is 9.4, Pebble Beach is 6, Pinehurst is 5.8 and Olympic is 10.3.  Didn't get Oakmont.  Yes, there are aberrations due to abnormal weather but these are all normal weather winds.  

Please.  Just consider my suggestion and give us a day to actually have fun here. Yea, there are going to be members who will disagree...as is their right. Skew the HC stats? One day per month? I doubt it. Not if it's offered to everyone and fair for everyone.

In the past 46 years of irl play, from Denver to San Francisco...British Columbia to San Diego, I have rarely (if ever) played in 20-30+ mph winds at any course. Rain, snow, hot, cold...yes.  These conditions may be uncomfortable, but a excessively windy day is a "stay home" day.  

As to why I suggest this?  It's simply for the enjoyment of everyone to play rounds with realistic wind conditions.  Asking for too much?  Trouble to accommodate too much? I don't see how or why.

I invite anyone to comment on this...especially any WGT forum personnel.

For verification, I can and will give my source for the wind stats quoted if requested.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sat, May 10 2014 1:06 PM

WGT does not use wind modeling sooo you're not ever going to have realistic wind interaction within a game here. Ever....

I can't even begin to fathom how they're applying wind... because damn, just ridiculous how it's effects are applied from the moment the ball is struck to hitting in alleyways of trees. Not even remotely realistic. Well not on this planet anyway...

• spy88
    205 Posts
    Sun, May 11 2014 8:38 AM

[/quote]...you're not ever going to have realistic wind interaction within a game here. Ever....[quote user="dedBuNNy"]

Thanks for your response d, but as to your above quote, I must disagree.  After submitting my post, I played a rated game @ Kiawah with two others.  Wind was 2-10 mph for the round...lower then the courses actual monthly norm.  It's not the first time but definitely in the minority of rounds.

But I do agree with you on the rest of your post.  I also do not know the methodology WGT uses for wind speed/direction. But I'll never accept anyone telling me WGT can't do the "windless" day once a month.  IF they wanted to that is.

And since I never received a WGT response as to why they hide the elevation of a shot until your turn, I don't expect any response to this thread either.

Ignoring members questions, concerns, comments, suggestions in this portion of the forums seems to be the norm for WGT.  Sad.

RSS