Forums

Help › Forums

Re: ~A Gift from Renn~

Wed, May 28 2014 2:32 PM (9 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, May 13 2014 10:36 AM

On my property are Pine & Oak trees. I have several Hummingbird feeders and I started including casual placement of song-bird feed to see what I could lure for viewing enjoyment. The bird crowd grows. And then I was pleased to notice a more brave movement from the Squirrel I had seen before from time to time. Then was more pleased to see slow Squirrel multiplication..from one, to three, to five plus two babys...and it is still growing. They become more brazen and friendly with each passing day. I adore them beyond any expectation and enjoy the improvement with my education and desire to understand them as friends. Much pleasure has come my way by virtue of "our dear" Renn...I thank him for my new inspiration. ~ Lily ~    

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, May 13 2014 11:29 AM

...tastes a bit like chicken.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 9:06 AM

SweetiePie:

On my property are Pine & Oak trees. I have several Hummingbird feeders and I started including casual placement of song-bird feed to see what I could lure for viewing enjoyment. The bird crowd grows. And then I was pleased to notice a more brave movement from the Squirrel I had seen before from time to time. Then was more pleased to see slow Squirrel multiplication..from one, to three, to five plus two babys...and it is still growing. They become more brazen and friendly with each passing day. I adore them beyond any expectation and enjoy the improvement with my education and desire to understand them as friends. Much pleasure has come my way by virtue of "our dear" Renn...I thank him for my new inspiration. ~ Lily ~    

And now, after providing a virtual smorgasbord of every variety of Squirrel possibilities (they like everything I offer), but behave like needy junkies, and really suck-up to me, when the un-shelled peanuts come forward. All thanks to Renni

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 10:10 AM

SweetiePie:
    And now, after providing a virtual smorgasbord of every variety of Squirrel possibilities (they like everything I offer), but behave like needy junkies, and really suck-up to me, when the un-shelled peanuts come forward. All thanks to Renni

For a real show, try giving them a couple of Yuenglings with those peanuts! LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 10:35 AM

ROFLLMAO. That's hysterical, Andy. And here I thought Lily was just looking for birdies in all the wrong places.  :-D

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 11:10 AM

I didn't know tree rats could dance. Fuuuunnny!!!!!!

• raycin1019
    377 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 12:06 PM

Enticing the squirrels could be a mistake.  When i moved into my house 10 years ago ( a new development and we were the first to build it in) we had 1-3 squirrels that we saw in the back yard.  The squirrels were all chased away by the construction of the roads, houses, etc.  We thought they were cute.  Within months, we would see 3-5 in the front yard and the same in the back.  My lot is surrounded by 90 ft oak trees and we have acorns by the tens of thousands.  They kept multiplying, almost at a monthly rate.  the next year, it was not unusual to see 10-12 at a time.  After 8 years, they were taking over...lol.  They had chewed my cable connections, disrupting my tv and internet connections on three occasions, chewed through a screen and entered into my attic (you could hear them through the ceiling) and chased my poor cat in groups of two or three around my yard.  My wife is also a bird lover and has humming bird feeder and seed feeders for the other birds and once the squirrels figured out how to circumvent the "squirrel proof" bird feeders, they would clean out an entire feeder in 15 minutes 

I was going to start shooting them (mean guy that i am) but my wife CONVINCED me that it would be much better to live trap and relocate them.  I bought 4 live traps and i had to empty them twice a day at times.  We now have a reasonable number, but they are again on the rise.  I think that in a year or two, i will have to go through the process again.

They are fun to watch, but can really become a pain in the a$$ over time

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 12:57 PM

raycin1019:

Enticing the squirrels could be a mistake.  When i moved into my house 10 years ago ( a new development and we were the first to build it in) we had 1-3 squirrels that we saw in the back yard.  The squirrels were all chased away by the construction of the roads, houses, etc.  We thought they were cute.  Within months, we would see 3-5 in the front yard and the same in the back.  My lot is surrounded by 90 ft oak trees and we have acorns by the tens of thousands.  They kept multiplying, almost at a monthly rate.  the next year, it was not unusual to see 10-12 at a time.  After 8 years, they were taking over...lol.  They had chewed my cable connections, disrupting my tv and internet connections on three occasions, chewed through a screen and entered into my attic (you could hear them through the ceiling) and chased my poor cat in groups of two or three around my yard.  My wife is also a bird lover and has humming bird feeder and seed feeders for the other birds and once the squirrels figured out how to circumvent the "squirrel proof" bird feeders, they would clean out an entire feeder in 15 minutes 

I was going to start shooting them (mean guy that i am) but my wife CONVINCED me that it would be much better to live trap and relocate them.  I bought 4 live traps and i had to empty them twice a day at times.  We now have a reasonable number, but they are again on the rise.  I think that in a year or two, i will have to go through the process again.

They are fun to watch, but can really become a pain in the a$ over time

Agreed - they are considered rodents for a reason.  They can actually chew through the insulated wiring in your attic and cause a fire as well.  You can feed them if you want - I will continue to shoot them.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 2:02 PM

My two cats are tree rat killers. The old female eats the heads of the ones she kills and leaves the carcass in the garage for me to pick up. The young female kills them but I don't know what she does with them. Maybe leaves them in the woods behind the house. They keep the squirrel population under  control. The cats don't seem to bother the birds for some reason just the squirrels.

• ljbast
    943 Posts
    Wed, May 28 2014 2:32 PM

RSS