Fox's "2 Cents!" (My Suggestions) [Updated: 10.2.10]

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 29 2010 5:08 PM (0 replies)
  • RedFoxgm
    7 Posts
    Wed, Sep 29 2010 5:08 PM

Updated: 10/2/10

Hey Fellow Golfers,

I've only been a member since late August. So my opinion will probably not hold much weight around here. Having played for a bit- I'm now Tour Pro, I don't quit 'cause I'm shooting bad, or quit at the last hole just to save average. I play what myself and the golf course gives me- good or bad. Take pride when I shoot a good round, and just swallow my medicine when I'm having a marginal or bad round. All part of the game.

But here are some of  my short suggestions for WGT, and other's input (keep it friendly and on point). Sorry If I'm already mentioning things that already been posted. I do read the forums, but impossible to "see" or take note of all posts.

1. Quitting the game:

I'm noticing many are quitting just because of bad play or to save one's "precious" average.

I'm sure we have all experienced this. It is the most frustrating and disrespectful action from a player. Now before I get "yelled" at, which is common in these public places, there are times I have to "bow out" of a game. Due to some unexpected phone call or some other issue that needs  my attention. Those that have played me, know I always give them warning before doing so, and apologize. But it is rare.

I'm referring to those that quit because they are having a bad round or to save average. Disrespectful to other players simply because it takes ALOT of time to just to play a 9 hole round. More time playing 18. There goes an hour or more. One's efforts could of been playing another game with "honest" players.

So my suggestion to WGT (if you are reading) is this:

- There will ALWAYS be quitters for various reasons. No, we can not do anything about that. I can live with that. But there are a few things that can possibly be done to curtail QUITTING.

- What does one have to do to Quit a game? If they don't close the window altogether, most likely they go to "Menu" option and select "End Game".

- So, why not write in the game  software script a script that will punish this action. Examples would be:

1. Add noticeable points to their scoring average. Increase the player's average.  Hit 'em where it hurts most- in their pocket book!!- their precious average. We ALL want good averages, but accept what your round gives!!

2. Or, decrease their skill level at least 2 levels. 

Now I realize, that games do "quit" due to various software reasons- maybe we have to live with unwarranted sanctions even to our score or skill levels. I can live with that just to try to curtail the quitting. 
    2. Driving Distances:

I have no problem buying balls from the pro shop for benefits (distance, spin, etc.,) However, I do think to make the game more enjoyable, a good distance driver should be offered for players to upgrade, say at least by skill level 3 or 4. I'm talking about a driver that hits at least 270.

Why? Let's face it- some of the par 4s are just unreachable in two (without a tail wind) with drivers that only go about 240-250. The 240-250 drivers become available in the high skill levels of 26 or better! Longer drivers even higher levels! I know this has been discussed here- just mentioning.

Yes, charge for better balls. Yes, you do have to stay in business. But also make the game more competitive and fun for all by offering a quality driver earlier in a player's skill level. Yes, charge for it, and the best of both world's is met- you as a business, and more
      happy players. :)  ** ..and I bet you'll retain players!!

3. Club distances and the way the wind reacts.

Fix the consistency!!

Those who play and know their club distances know what I mean. I've played many golf sims. I've noticed the wind is inconsistent in the way one expects it to react. The SAME wind 'strength' will vary from hole to hole and course to course. YES, I know some holes, based on tree cover, and other factors will effect wind. This can be expected. That IS the challenge of hitting quality shots. I've seen, say 10 or 20 mph wind have absolutely no effect (tail wind or side wind). Hmmmmmmmm?? I'm not going to get into details. WGT, please revisit the software scripts here. PLEASE.

4. Putting

The putting tools and mechanics are really great in this game. However, one more view option would be great. Especially if you can see the hole, say with multiple breaks or one break. It would be great to have an option to get a view of the hole right at
      green level (a "birds eye" view sort of speak): from the players feet to the hole. Also to be able to "walk" that view right to the hole. Secondly, in this same "ground view"- to be able to "walk" from the hole to the players feet. 

Why? This will help in pre-putt figuring to see the "

subtleties"

in the green breaks. Not sure if I'm making myself clear, but this would be a valuable tool in "reading" greens.  More importantly- this is a VIRTUAL environment. We don't have the luxury of 3D terrain views we have in real life.

End of my "2 Cents"- more to come as I play more **** 

> GAME PROBLEMS:

• When players QUIT it "freezes" the game. "Gotta love them quitters!!" 
    • Game Load Times
      This does not happen all the time, but more often than not, the loads times of multiplayer round are extremely slow (I'm on fast internet connection). I've found improvement in "pre-loading" each course prior to joining a multiplayer match. However, this will not become an option as more courses are added.  

"Hit 'em straight, and keep it in the short stuff!"  See ya on the links.

Fox

RSS