Forums

Help › Forums

Re: D Day landings

Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:57 AM (5 replies)
  • russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:18 AM

My Grandad took part in this as a 19yr old and was shot and injured,whilst his best Friend was killed.Just wanted to Let the brave souls who gave there lives on this day,know that they will never be forgotten!

This is a picture of my brave Grandad

Russell

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:30 AM

Incredible people indeed that helped preserve freedom.

Also, and don't get me wrong as I am as as anti everything Nazi as it gets, I also remember soldiers on the other side,  many just doing what they had no choice in.  Fked up and wrong as the Nazi system was it's a warning from history for all of us, and so should not be forgotten generally.

Great post! 

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 4:31 AM

Jimbog1964:

Incredible people indeed that helped preserve freedom.

Also, and don't get me wrong as I am as as anti everything Nazi as it gets, I also remember soldiers on the other side,  many just doing what they had no choice in.  Fked up and wrong as the Nazi system was it's a warning from history for all of us, and so should not be forgotten generally.

Great post! 

I totally agree Jim,the Germans and their Allies also suffered greatly following/forced to follow the Nazi regime.

Russell

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 4:46 AM

Agreed Jim, lessons should be learned and remembered. 70 years on and I wished it was the case.

As a reminder for anyone, take a road trip along that Northern coast of France and the haunting memories of so many crosses, might just make anyone think twice about despotic acts.

One life lost on either side is one too many. 

But I will say freedom does not come cheap, and I take my hat off to all that have fought for our freedom, past and present.

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 5:02 AM

A thought for 50,000 French civilians killed during the operations for which there is no commemoration or honors neither medals or what else.

The price of liberty we accept but do not forget.

Anyway, great celebration in France today .: président Obama, queen Elizabeth II, président Poutine and so.

Ah .... yes also French président François Hollande but nobody take care. :)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:57 AM

Told he could not go and join his mates.  

Well played by this particular true hero I reckon.  What a great story:)

RSS