Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hey Australians

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 7 2014 4:32 PM (5 replies)
  • MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sat, Jun 7 2014 4:31 AM

Any of you recognise these?  I looked for typical Australian food recently when I made an Australia care package for a friends birthday.  He used to live there and I thought he may be missing the old place so did him a box of assorted Australian beer and some of these.  Dead easy to make and really good.

Pretty sure most of you will know them.  I hope so anyway.  Stefan had heard of them at least.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Jun 7 2014 4:48 AM
    Anzacs
  • Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Sat, Jun 7 2014 5:42 AM

anzacs aint bad but i reckon these are more popular here :)

those double coated ones are the shizzle

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sat, Jun 7 2014 6:45 AM

alanti:

Anzacs

Good man.  I've made loads of them the last week, they sure don't hang around very long.

Wontonamo:

those double coated ones are the shizzle

OMG!  Death by chocolate!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Jun 7 2014 3:04 PM

In my years living away from Aus, I would yearn for some of the "delicacies" and on trips back I would take a suitcase for Tim Tams, Mint Slices, Twisties, Cherry Ripes, Violet Crumbles, and my Kids favourites, Iced VoVos and a few bottles of good Aussie Red. 

Luckily over the years staples such as Vegemite were available most places.

Anzac Biscuits supposedly originated during WW1 when the wives of soldiers sent these as they did not spoil easily. 

Every so often I would host an Aussie day, all things Australian. All the guys were called Bruce or Mate, all women Sheila or Darl.

Food would include a BBQ of course, snags, roo, devils on horseback etc and all the above including Anzacs and Pavlova (here come the arguments from the Kiwis lol) and of course, Beer and Wine.

Somethings were not available such as Balmain Bugs but we made do - top nights in a foreign place but the locals probably thought what strange people we were.

The downside was I would get invited to local haunts (in places like China) and had to eat their local foods - Chickens feet ...yum yum ...puke....

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jun 7 2014 4:32 PM

alanti:
    Luckily over the years staples such as Vegemite were available most places

I luv me Vegemite ..... yummmy

RSS