Forums

Help › Forums

Re: windows 7, or 8, or 8.1?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 20 2014 3:51 AM (9 replies)
  • lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Thu, Jun 19 2014 9:03 PM

My pc us to be replaced very soon.  One of my options is what system would be best.       I know nothing about windows 8 or 8.1.  Please advise.  My nickle.

• Yasch
    310 Posts
    Thu, Jun 19 2014 10:54 PM

I'm guessing that the OS you are familiar with is XP. I know nothing of that system, my first laptop had Vista, which I upgraded to WIN 7. I love it (others may not), and I feel it is a very easy system to get used if you are willing to take on the challenge of a new OS.

Just my ten cents worth.

I'm being moderated, so who knows when this will appear.

• ScottHope
    10,358 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 1:29 AM

Personally, I prefer Windows 7.

Would it be possible to transfer the operating system on your current PC onto your new PC, if you like what you have already?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 1:33 AM

I prefer 7 as well, but use 8 now. Takes a little getting used to - really designed for tablets/touch screen.

Scott - wouldn't the danger of the OS being transferred be transferring bad sectors? Just wondering.

• ScottHope
    10,358 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 1:42 AM

Hi Alan, I think a bad sector is a hardware fault and wouldn't be transferred to a new hard drive, but not totally sure on that.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:23 AM

The main problem you would probably encounter will be MOBO & hardware driver issues, though there is ways around this 90% of the time, much simpler to clean install .

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:31 AM

If you have the install DVD no pb to continue with W7, else you can find legal ISO on the web, can burn it and install with your serial number.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:47 AM

There is an easier compromise, one of my pc's runs windows 8, which I hate.

I downloaded this (windows classic shell) it gives you back the start button on bottom left of screen which lets you in to all the windows functions the way you are used to. I have been using it for 6 months without any problems. It's free and takes away a lot of the pain caused by 8.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 2:49 AM

Thanks Scott, I was just wondering. Regardless I think a new PC deserves a fresh start....just in case.

Edit that shell looks interesting Paul. I bypass it by using the desktop(8.1) and pinning the frequently used programs - works fine as well, but not as simple as using the traditional way.

Great for tablets, crap for laptop/PC's

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Fri, Jun 20 2014 3:51 AM

If you can afford it, have your new PC built by a local PC store. They won't install all the extra things that we never use but sit there eating up resources. I had my Windows 8 PC repaired after a major crash. It was like they built it from scratch. They installed Windows 8.1 and just a few needed extras. My game runs like a dream.

As for  Windows 8.1 it seems much more stable than Windows 8 did and is just about as good as Windows 7 was.

RSS