Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The pitfalls of reverse sandbagging

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 28 2014 12:48 AM (3 replies)
  • slashcam
    1,242 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 11:37 AM

First off, let me say I really enjoy this place. I have only been here for 318 days but feel I now have a good grip on things. Im sure this has probably been brought up previously, but it Is my one pet peeve here at wgt. Reverse sandbagging. The reason it bothers me is how many WD's come about because folks just have to show some unreal, unbelievable "scoring average". Tournaments must be unlimited rounds. If not, a high percentage of players will WD. Take a boge on the third hole, shut'er down. Only 4 under after 10? Shut'er down. Playing a friendly, guy has to quit after 7 because its going to raise his "scoring avg". This is the exact opposite of real world golf. It makes running a tournament very,very hard. Half the field has withdrawn by the half way mark so as not to raise their average. Not fun. No satisfaction for the winner when you start with 18, and 3 finish. If ever wgt ran tournaments using a handicap system, the leaderboards would look very, very different than they do now. A lot of people would be scrambling to post some high scoring rounds. I know this wont change anytime soon, and that's ok, but, for me, shooting 29 on my 5th try isn't satisfying. Real world golf demands you play today, post your score. This is what makes the "great" days so much fun. Without the "bad" days, how do you know what a good day looks like? I must say I do not have a problem with people wanting to carry a crazy low average, it's the way the game is set up. However, the constant quitting in order to build such an average is annoying, at least, and just plain silly to many who play the game for real. Nuff said.  Thanks to all for you patience, good luck and good shootin.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 2:43 PM

Yes, it's silly, not to say stupid.

Quitting for average protection does not help the player to faster promotion to a higher tier - it's neutral regarding scores and negative for the skills. Those people will get less practice in the last holes of the courses!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 5:12 PM

Some wear averages like a badge round this place I think.  Now that said some play well enough that their single play record looks not too shabby, and they don't need many restarts to do well in multiplay.    Each to their own, but if it's SP you like many CCs provide quite a bit of it.  Multiplay is useful for really learning courses, unless just restart for numbers. 

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Mon, Jul 28 2014 12:48 AM

I know what you're talking about.. some people want to protect not only their avg, but their stats as well. Some of which look absolutely cartoonish. I don't have to worry about protecting my avg, I'm saturated.. I do, however, get mad and quit quite often.. haha.. Some of what you're experiencing might have to do with that too.

RSS