Forums

Help › Forums

Experience Points and Levels 6 week Review

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:12 AM (0 replies)
  • DaveHeathcote
    90 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:12 AM

6 weeks on and there has been much 'debate', often constructive but frequently not, about the system implemented.

For my part, I can see what WGT are trying to do.  They are a commercial enterprise and as such are trying to maximise revenue opportunity.  The new system allows everyone to eventually access all Pro Shop items even if they do not progress up the tiers.  From a player point of view it means those who are unable to improve their scores through practice and experience alone have the option to buy better equipment to help them do so that would not have been available in the old tier based equipment rules.  I have no argument with either of these points.

However, it is clear the system has serious teething problems, mainly due to the step change meaning players progressing tiers since the change are unable to buy the clubs required not just to be competitive but simply to play some courses/holes off the new tees.  On top of this, the rate of progress through the higher levels is very slow.  I was level 30 when I progressed to Master, reckon on 2 months of playing 36 tournament holes a day to get to level needed to get 'Master' (L62/63+) clubs.  If I was still in Pro tiers I would not be too fussed about this but off Master tees there are times I really need more distance (STA #7 and most of BPB for example) to simply reach fairways and/or greens in regulation.

My aim for this thread is to keep to it to some simple, realistic and constructive suggestions for WGT to consider to improve the system they have implemented, based on the assumption that for understandable commercial reasons it is here to stay in some form.  Please could you try to stick to this and reserve general conversation/whinging about the subject to other threads.

Here are my suggestions for starters:

1) Make system transparent and publish points to reach each level and list of how points are accumulated.

2) Implement a tier based multiplier to allow players who progress through tiers quickly to level up faster and unlock the improved equipment they need.

3) Revise levels at which equipment is unlocked as it seems clear the new levels are a long way off the mark in terms of when people reach the equivalent tier required for same equipment in old system

4) Introduce WGT clubs that are available on a tier based system.  This would at least give opportunity to get longer hitting clubs when needed, even if would still need to wait for the branded clubs with increased precision, spin, etc.

RSS