Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Net Neutrality And Why It's Important...

Wed, Sep 10 2014 2:22 AM (4 replies)
  • ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 10:24 AM

Leave it to a comedian to break something down to a level even I can understand..

• RiveIce
    62 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 2:24 PM

lmfao

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 6:05 PM

Ish,

You're right, this is very important.

The "Internet Slowdown Day" begins at midnight Wednesday and ends at midnight Thursday of this week.

You know that annoying loading symbol you get when your computer is buffering (the circle that spins round and round)? Well some major websites are going to show that for the entire twenty-four hour period mentioned above to bring peoples attention to what the FCC wants to do to the internet.

You see, the new head of the FCC is the former head lobbyist for ISP's like Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon (to name a few). Those companies want to be able to start charging (see: extorting) money from companies like Netflix and Amazon to move them onto an internet "fast lane" because they use so much bandwidth. In short, pay our ransom or we'll start "throttling" your access to the internet, thereby slowing down your website and pissing off your customers who then might stop visiting your website and causing you to lose revenue.

Some of the downsides to this are if the government allows this to happen, then companies like Netflix and Amazon will have to raise their prices (in order to offset the extortion payment) and guess who gets to pay those higher prices.....us. The other downside is that it eliminates competition....what about the newer, smaller upstarts that might benefit us all but they can't afford to pay the extortion fee? They get put in the new internet "slow lane."

I know of a few companies taking place in the protest- Netflix, Reddit, Etsy, Kick Starter, Vimeo, Foursquare and Mozilla, to name a few. Not sure if Amazon is participating but if you do a little research you'll find that some of the biggest internet companies all signed a letter to the FCC saying this is unacceptable.

MC

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 7:20 PM

Very well said MC..

I actually didn't know about the "Net Slowdown" until today although I've heard the Net Neutrality alarms for months. I got this video off the official website.

Hopefully enough pressure will be applied to stop this thing but we know our representatives don't really represent us.. they represent the one's who fill their coffers. 

The old saying "money talks, *** walks" has never been more true than it is right now in our government. It's actually scary if you just sit down and try to wrap your head around it.

On a separate issue, I've been seeing ads the last week or so about TV cable and dish companies trying to wipe out free "over the air" television. Congress is working on that too in a back room somewhere I'd imagine.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 2:22 AM

Thanks Ish-

ISH47:
    I've been seeing ads the last week or so about TV cable and dish companies trying to wipe out free "over the air" television. Congress is working on that too in a back room somewhere I'd imagine.

I cut the cord to Comcast about two years ago. As a news and movie junkie, I use the internet for my news and use websites like Netflix and Amazon Prime or sites like XBMC to watch any movie or television show on the planet, ATDHE to watch any sporting event I want (like The Masters, The U.S. Open, The British Open, football and baseball games).

There are options out there folks, you just need to look for them.

MC

RSS