Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Grandma Singleton

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 17 2014 6:59 AM (3 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Oct 13 2014 4:53 PM

Yummy....I never saw it before, but I bought this delightful English Wensleydale with cranberry cheese at Costco the other day. The cheese is handmade at Longridge in Lancashire on the edge of the Forest of Bowland in England. They have been doing it since 1934. It sells for $8.29 lb, which is like theft....soooooo fine !  Evidently, Queen Elizabeth paid them a visit in 2008. Really tasty ! I wondered if the "Grandma Singleton's" brand is well thought of in the UK. Is it ?  

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Mon, Oct 13 2014 5:48 PM

Heard of the brand SP but never tried it if I'm honest, ASDA ( Walmart) do their own and that is fine enough for me, most cheeses with cranberries is very nice

:-) 

• VamboRools
    260 Posts
    Fri, Oct 17 2014 6:40 AM

I've not had that brand but Wensleydale with cranberries is nice,  I'll look out for Grandma Singleton's.  The cranberry is a strange beast,  it looks as if it should be oh so sweet but it has a dark side with it's bitterness.  It's like a cherry with a touch of devilment. I like it. 

There's a wonderful small dairy just a few miles from where I live called the Northumberland Cheese Company which makes the nicest cheese I've tasted. All handmade, all local ingredients.  The Coquetdale is especially tasty....a soft, creamy cheese with a touch of sweetness....it's like an angel dancing on your tongue !!  At the other end of the scale they make a Nettle cheese....yes that's right...cheese with nettles !!!  It sounds so wrong but it's sharp, tangy, and lipsmacking good !!

Unfortunately SP they don't export their cheese to the USA,  so you'll just have to salivate !!

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Oct 17 2014 6:59 AM
    I believe that Costco do Isle of Man Creamery cheeses too. Our smoked cheese is a little bit gorgeous.
RSS