Forums

Help › Forums

Re: R.I.P. William Earl Casper Jr.

Mon, Feb 9 2015 2:02 PM (2 replies)
  • donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2015 7:08 AM

Underappreciated and underrated in the era of the "Big Three" and widely considered to be one the games greatest putters, William Earl (Billy) Casper Jr. died Feb. 7th ...

He was one of golf's most prolific players (and winners) ... winning 51 tour events and 3 majors ... but more importantly, was a devoted family man, raising 11 children, and devoted to charitable pursuits and his religion ...

requiescant in pace

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2015 8:36 AM

...and let us also not forget ,  Charlie Sifford, the first African-American to play on the PGA Tour, died Tuesday at age 92, the Professional Golfers' Association of America said.

"His love of golf, despite many barriers in his path, strengthened him as he became a beacon for diversity in our game," PGA of America President Derek Sprague said in a statement. "By his courage, Dr. Sifford inspired others to follow their dreams. ... Golf was fortunate to have had this exceptional American in our midst."

"Charlie led by example, handling himself with great class and dignity inside and outside the ropes," Nicklaus said on his website. "We can't underestimate the impact Charlie's career has had on the face of golf today. Charlie was a leader and an inspiration."

"Charlie was sometimes banned from clubhouse restaurants. Folks threatened him, shouted slurs from the gallery, kicked his ball into the rough,"  

"It didn't bother me. It wasn't going to stop me," Sifford said.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2015 2:02 PM

Agreed ... let's not forget this man. A ground breaking player, determined and courageous !

RSS