Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Been here awhile but still need help

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 24 2015 2:17 PM (4 replies)
  • Caddy04
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 9:25 AM

Help, I still can't seem to figure out the amount of correct yards to the green. I think the flag when it shows up or down means something in the equation and I think the wind speed has something to do also. Would appreciate some help.I'm not a rocket scientist and would be gratefull for any tid bits  one might share with me.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 10:18 AM

With decent clubs - which you have - my rule of thumb is,

For ups and downs, one yard for every three feet. Elevation 10 ft = add 3.3 yards length. Especially on downslops, top spin or backspin may have an influence. Doesn't work on extreme upslopes like BPB#4(?).

For straight back- or headwinds, I calculate 1 yd per mph for a 200 yds shot. that is, 10 mph headwind at a 140 yds shot, add 10*(140/200) = 7 yds length.

Furthermore, there's quite a few helpful posts out there - just use the search function.

• garyk49
    2,329 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 12:30 PM

Another suggestion...Get rid of the hybrid you have and replace with a 3rd wedge in line with the 2 you already have.  Even if you have to use the starter wedge to replace it with, you will be able to score better with the 3rd wedge.

For side wind, use the aim block for apx. 10 mph of wind.  20 left to right wind, move the block 2 positions left.  Will work out differently depending on which club you are using.  Wedges will be affected more then long or mid irons are.  This is something you will have to work with into different greens, but it gets you somewhere in the ballpark.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 1:09 PM

The numbers I used to work with were as follows.

For cross wind multiply the wind by the distance then divide by 200 to get the amount of yards the ball would move off line. 

For head wind, again multiply wind by distance but divide by 180 for the number of yards the wind would knock off.  For tail wind divide by 260 for the number of extra yards the wind would carry the ball.

I say used to because I gave up using them many months ago, I now play purely by feel.  I aim where I think is right and adjust the power the same way.  And to be honest, my scores haven't suffered at all.  I might be playing 1 shot per 50 holes worse but I can live with that.

Others may, and almost certainly will, disagree but I think it's easy to get too obsessed with numbers and calcs and forget that the whole point is to have fun.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2015 2:17 PM

You can catch a slide rule on fire using all the math available to make every shot, and if you have a 30 second clock, its a real Witch to get it all done in time.

It is true that the closer you get to where you want to be you will have to do some math.

Elevation, 3 feet equals 1 yard, either up or down, there will be some places with extreme changes in elevation in a short distance that are exceptions to the rule, But there are always exceptions.

Beyond 150 yards, for side wind effect I figgr  that 6 mph = one flag pin distance, if at a straight 90 degrees, at 45 degrees one half of that.

Head, or tail wind at a direct angle is worth one yard per mph, at a 90 degree angle, you can still gain forward distance if you use backspin to keep your ball in the air longer and is 90% guess work on how much your ball will be affected.

All of my figgrn for 100 yards up to 150 yards I use 50% of the amounts previously mentioned.

Under 100 (?) yards it depends more on the club, type stroke, the ball, and what spin you will attach to the ball as to what will happen.....lol

Penalty lies are a real Witch to figgr.  Under 25% you can use full club swing and expect some loss of distance.  Any penalty over 25% I will usually use a punch stroke.  It tends to clear all manner of obstruction and if dinged will allow good distance.  In so doing I never club up more than 2 clubs, in my experience, any more than that will cause havoc.

Any penalty over 70%, aim for the nearest fairway ground and use a punch stroke, then close your eyes and hope!!!

Being able to clear a bad lie is only the beginning.  After you hit it you gotta figgr out how you're going to stop it.  Spin on any penalty swing will be 25% effective, maybe?  You must allow for that .

Wind effect on a punch stroke can be anywhere from 70% to 25% depending on the spin you apply to the ball.  In general it is because a punch stroke keeps the ball on a lower flight path than a full swing.

I didn't mention close in approach shots, fringe shots, or putting.  The variables dealing with those 3 are to many to list and/or have me guessing what to do.

If you noticed, a lot of ? and don't knows.  I'm sure many players here can give you math computations down to the 1 foot measurement for every type and style of shot for any club, ball, stroke type available on WGT.  However I prefer to have to use some old fashioned wind age factors,  intuition, and personal experience to assist in setting up a particular shot.  I'm not ever going to be an outstanding player, But when and if I make a good shot, I know I did it, not some math problem.

Need it be mentioned?     PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE some more!!!

Be aware of what you do and how it effects your shot.  Read hints when posted on the forums.  Play rounds with senior players and ask questions.   

HIT THE DING !!!!!

Have fun!  really the only reason to be here.  My nickle...

RSS