Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Pants on fire, a** 'bout catchin'

Mon, Jun 29 2015 7:57 PM (7 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 7:54 AM

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=7a6ed221-6a4f-4f30-b40c-a4c500f2162a.

From impact to pin, about normal, from there on that little sucker really beats feet, lol.

Doc :)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 8:31 AM

drmoose:
    from there on that little sucker really beats feet, lol.

LOL,  shifted gears.  

I haven't seen that kind of spin in a long while.  Even when I try for it, seems to just dig in and spin then stick in place.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 9:34 AM

lol H,

Good thing I didn't use full bs, prob'ly woulda set the green on fire.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 10:43 AM

If you've never noticed, back spin tends to go in the direction of the wind. Yours would have been just right had the wind direction been reversed but all you did there was give the ball a head start going with the wind. LOL. 

Pretty good example of what wind can do on the green.  :-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 10:52 AM

these would be fun here.  LOL

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 12:40 PM

This one was a lot like that ... SPIN

And it was a 7 iron, not a wedge ...

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 1:44 PM

Thanks guys, all good stuff. I guess why I wanted to share this one was because of the way the first 3 to 4 feet went at about normal speed for that much bs, and then when it got closer to the pin, it took off like a scared rabbit.  An' YJ, I'm not discounting your explanation, but, IRL wouldn't the wind take effect on the first bounce back when the ball is still in the air and not wait 'til it's rolled a few feet ? Ah , never mind, I just thought the shot was unusual enough to share.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 7:57 PM

I think I have the explanation for that doc ... it reacted much like a golf ball in real life reacts to excessive spin .. in the beginning it has to overcome it's forward momentum, the inertia built up in the forward flying shot before it can start really moving in the other direction. Once that intertia has been spent, the spinning force (and wind effect) will be seen to cause an increase in speed. 

Sometimes you will see balls on the PGA tour bounce once or even twice forward before they start spinning backwards or stopping ....

RSS