Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Balls

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 6 2017 11:29 PM (6 replies)
  • WinterHawk1951
    392 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2016 10:55 AM

Can anyone here give me any suggestions as to which ball is really the best ball for all purposes? Best cost in relationship for distance, spin and meter speed? Not for durability, that really does not ever change from 2.5. Don't automatically tell me the most expensive but why? Just am wondering as to what the thoughts are on this, no biggie.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2016 12:17 PM

"all purpose ball": No such thing here.

Balls work together with clubs, individual relation each time.

My rules of thumb:

- Don't use balls of higher level than the main clubs,

- Try balls from cheap to expensive,

- Select a type which you can afford to lose.

I have two favourites:

- Tour SD, cheap and fast but solid in basic performance.

- Callaway L33, still budget and a tad better in speed and spin.

Experience may vary.

• WinterHawk1951
    392 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2017 4:10 PM

Can't believe that with all the opinions from everywhere over the littlest of things, such as Christmas givaways or such, that there is only one opinion on this. Really !!

• pmm711
    5,641 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2017 4:25 PM

WinterHawk1951:

Can anyone here give me any suggestions as to which ball is really the best ball for all purposes? Best cost in relationship for distance, spin and meter speed? Not for durability, that really does not ever change from 2.5. Don't automatically tell me the most expensive but why? Just am wondering as to what the thoughts are on this, no biggie.

Larry (aka linksdude) would tell you the best overall ball for the value is the Callaway Chrome Soft Level 43 at just 250 Credits.  Link to them is here...

http://www.wgt.com/proshop/golf-balls/callaway-chrome_soft_balls_l43.aspx?i=928ac578-41b6-4834-a023-b6339fd1291a

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2017 4:36 PM

WinterHawk1951:

Can't believe that with all the opinions from everywhere over the littlest of things, such as Christmas givaways or such, that there is only one opinion on this. Really !!

Well that's because there's no controversy or stinging insults to be thrown at you. You're asking an actual question that should really only garner somewhat informative replies... Wait for it though, if the idiots get in on it, it'll fall apart quickly.

Someone will say that the Lethal's or SRixon's are decent general purpose balls and someone will come in and throw gas on them and light a match. LoL

In saying that, Lethal's are a good overall general ball. Great putting and they play well with higher clubs. The meter seems a bit slower than 2.5 to me.

WGT highest balls are ok... drive really well, fast meter though. SD steady ya... 

Cally's and Nike, you just kinda take your pick and try em all. The legend Cally's have some nice combo's, wear faster though. Nike's, whatever floats your boat. 

Volvik, no one seems to use 'em... I think for the money, Nike balls offer more for same amount. 

Max, just too damn slow of a meter....

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2017 6:53 PM

WinterHawk1951:

I would guess that not very many people saw your post.  Normally this type of question is posted in the Product Discussions - Equipment & Avatars thread.

FWIW, you got good advice from a few people.  I used to use a WGT G-13S ball for friendly play and a Cally L33 for tournaments where I was more serious about doing well.  I would think you would be happy with either a Cally L33 or L43.

Like others said, you have to try different ones and see what you are comfortable with.  I tried using the L48 Nikes when I was around L60 and had a lot of trouble with them, mostly when putting.  But I've had great luck with L61 and Nike Blacks (L90).  Either should work well with the Nike L92 Irons you have equipped.  But that top level performance comes with a big price tag.

good Luck

• Jdogg017
    36 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2017 11:29 PM

I like callaway 33 ball,waiting for some more taylormade balls though!

RSS