Re: Happy Mardi Gras

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 27 2017 9:48 AM (2 replies)
  • gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Mon, Feb 27 2017 6:35 AM

Fat Tuesday is tomorrow.

Happy Mardi Gras to all. Party hardy.

One time a year, a society comes together, and drinks themselves into oblivion, instead of the other way, in the name of  ---, in New Orleans.

I choose the later

Just sayin

Float Queen

Every one has fun, their own way, at Mardi Gras. Greyhound busses for paddy wagons. You get put in the pokey, they keep you there, until Wednesday, then, you have to clean up the French Quarter as punishment.

Take my word on that 1 also

Creeping Leaves

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 27 2017 7:15 AM

gonfission:
    then, you have to clean up the French Quarter as punishment.

IDK what it's like now but I had the good fortune to make it a Mardi Gras in 1981. Spectacular party, non stop. "Throw me something, Mister!"  was the call from the sidelines where crowds yelled for the coins and beads they threw from the floats. I still have a bunch of those beads. LOL

The most amazing thing I saw happened at midnight on Fat Tuesday when it all came to a screeching halt. An armada of street sweepers-those big Zamboni-type machines- ran side by side down the streets, sweeping up and hosing down the streets in front of the bars. It was almost surreal the way it ended, it was so clean. Fantastic memories of a great time.  :-)

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Mon, Feb 27 2017 9:48 AM

YankeeJim:
    Zamboni-type machines- ran side by side down the streets,

That's right Jim. I was unlucky enough, (drunk) not to get out da way, of those machines. The water they let loose, is tsunami like.

I was there in 1978, when the northeast got wailed by a blizzard. 4 + feet of snow.

Bus driver in New Orleans, told me he could only bring me to DC. Told me Boston was CLOSED!!

I started a futile argument, over Boston never being closed, because of snow. He asked if I had been under a rock, because of my lack of knowledge about the storm. He said, " Go to DC, or get the fook off the bus".

Stupidly I pressed my argument that southerners don't know jack, about snow. At that point, I got off the bus. By means of him getting up, and throwing me out the door, onto the side walk.

Went into the first bar, and was astounded, at what I saw, in Boston. I met Cheryl Ladd, original Charlie's Angel. Road on her float with her. Henry Winkler's body guards, and I, had a conversation, and two. Well maybe 6, at the Café Du Monde.

Henry was NOTHING like the Fonz Character, he played on Happy Days. He was very shy, scared of everything. Nice guy though.

Ed McMahon from Jonny Carson show, and I, bumped into each other, turning the corner on Dumaine St, & Bourbon St... That man can drink. He can also, drink. If the Mississippi was his drink of choice, he would drink it dry.

Yep, Mardi Gras is a bit chen party when you're younger. Never grab for the doubloons they throw you, while on the ground. You'll get your hand stomped by a dozen people, trying to pick them up also. If you were a chick, and showed some hooters, the beads would dump off the floats...

Beer was a nickel, refilled, at any bar, in a 32 ounce paper cup. They don't want cans, or bottles, every where. The clean up was inside, most of the businesses, after festivities ended.

Those were the days, before reality slammed headlong into me. ;-)))

Creeping Leaves

RSS