Help › Forums

Re: Balls for a noob?

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 14 2011 1:57 AM (9 replies)
  • mAGOO613
    6 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 6:04 AM

Hi all and thanks in advance.

Just a quick question about purchasing balls for a relatively noobie.

Is it worth spending 10 cc on a set of balls or not. My guess is that 10cc balls would make minimal diff to my game.

I'm after back spin control over distance. I have Raptor V2 clubs with crappy Wedges and putter so far.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 6:33 AM

You will be better of buying the 50c balls for now. they will help more then the 10c balls. But in saying that the 10c balls are a lot better then the free balls

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 7:28 AM

As long as you've Raptures with a nice slow meter I'd say the best value are probably the Tour SD balls, 65 credits for 3 and 2 dots for spin and distance.

Not a patch on Callaways but for the price they're brilliant.

• mAGOO613
    6 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 7:52 AM

So 10cc balls might be worth it? Get what u pay for?

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 9:49 AM

What he is saying is that they are better than what you have. 

However, in comparison to many of the other balls in the Pro Shop, they aren't anywhere near the best. 

In my opinion, I would keep saving your credits until you can purchase a few packs of WGT Tour-SD Balls. They are only 65 credits and will give you 2 spin, 2 distance, and 1.5 durability. 

Good luck and hit 'em well. 

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 10:19 AM

just to offer an alternate opinion:

wedges man!  You will never loose one due to a meter glitch; although a few of mine should be "lost" due to snapping them over my knee in frustration.

I have bought a total of five sleeves in my addiction/career here and gifted four of them to friends.   The learning curve is a lot slower for sure w/ the free balls, but I try not to be in a rush to reach the next tier.   From the beginning I wanted this game to be fun and cheap/free.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 11:22 AM

MainzMan:
    Not a patch on Callaways but for the price they're brilliant.

I don't agree and agree. LOL. They have more than enough spin and distance for the game, especially at the lower levels. Callaways are great for holding greens such as you need to do from the Legend tees but from anywhere else they are more than enough ball. I use them to this day. You can't beat the 22 cent price tag.   :-)

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2011 1:16 PM

TheLighterDark:

What he is saying is that they are better than what you have. 

However, in comparison to many of the other balls in the Pro Shop, they aren't anywhere near the best. 

In my opinion, I would keep saving your credits until you can purchase a few packs of WGT Tour-SD Balls. They are only 65 credits and will give you 2 spin, 2 distance, and 1.5 durability. 

Good luck and hit 'em well. 

I used the SD balls for a while, but went to the GI-S balls. Little cheaper, more durable, and almost the same performance as far as spin.

• mAGOO613
    6 Posts
    Sat, May 7 2011 3:10 AM

Thanks for all you advice and info guys.

Although I'm still undecided, it has helped. I'm not looking at winning every match, just improving my PB scores and progressing to next levels.

• mAGOO613
    6 Posts
    Sat, May 14 2011 1:57 AM

Sorry to bring this up again but when you say durable.... What are we talking about? Some posts I've read that balls go when you water or fescue and others talk about times used?

When I joined a friend up I did get some balls but never really took notice of duration of balls. I also put it down to losing then in the water as I use to do.

Is there a rough rule about longevity of balls other than water and lost balls?

Cheers

RSS