Fri, Jun 30 2017 8:59 PM

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 9:01 PM

Ya know ya gotta change it up!

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 10:04 PM

Seeing that clip of Joe Cocker brought back memories for this old dinosaur.  I remember seeing him in concert in December 1969, while Leon Russell was playing keyboards for him.  It was at the Anaheim Convention Center, in Anaheim, Ca.

I searched and found this info from the venue website:

It was 12/12/69.  Also appearing were The Flock, and Grand Funk Railroad (GFR).    

I remember, it was a great show.  GFR were the Rodney Dangerfield of rock at that time, and got no respect from the critics.  They were great live and made you think of  the local garage band that had almost made it.  

They fit in with the long jam session type shows of the time, as this was during the days of Bill Graham's Fillmore East (NY) and Fillmore West (SF).  Many live albums were recorded at The Fillmore, like The Allman Brothers Live, where 1 whole side was a long cut of 1 song, Whipping Post.

Tickets were $4.50, and $6.50 for orchestra seats.  A far cry from concerts today.

Those were the days that coined the phrase: "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll."

Thanks Mate,

Jeff

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 10:25 PM

Ah yes...I remember back in the early 80's walking the streets-not like that- and in the district, seeing the old concert posters pasted over each other...literally  layers thick...imagine they're all gone now...off to ebay and such...I guess you recall those round pillars that hosted them?...I wasn't around to see them live, just the aftermath:)

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 11:44 PM

Yes, I remember that, as there were so many places that had concerts at that time.  Most venues would post for each other, so you would know who was playing where and when.  

It was that or read the LA Free Press to see which acts were going to be where.  California had a huge music scene at that time.  Radio would normally have ads only for the top headliners, and there were no TV ads at all.

A different era, not necessarily better, just different. 

RSS