Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Need Tour Master/Legend Advice on how to play the drive and approach shot on Bethpage Black #'s 5&9

Thu, May 26 2011 4:16 PM (4 replies)
  • PhilIvey2010
    6 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2011 12:09 AM

Hi, I'm trying to score low on beth and the lowest i've scored is a 31. Mainly due to these holes usually scrambling for par. I really would appreciate some advice on how to play these holes so I can get better. Thanks

-Phil

• RickBarenes
    215 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2011 9:41 AM

Practice no easy way besides stay on the fairways get close to the hole as u can

• MrDonVito
    472 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2011 10:24 AM

Obviously more practice. Some luck helps also. The only quick fix you can make to improve your game is to upgrade clubs. More specifically in your case, some better irons would be helpful at Bethpage. You want lots of precision and a high trajectory for those elevated greens.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2011 10:40 AM

I like the front 9 27`s - 28`s I often shot here in RG`s 

This is what i like to do here.

Hole 1 

Drive over the trees , normally left with roughly 100 yard shot to front pin position add 3 yards to your shot. Aim to land short of the flag easier putt then behind or left - right . Back flag add 6 - 7 yards extra.

Hole 2

Cut back on drive hit 85% , I like to hit early on the shot left with roughly 115yards , I hit 125 yard full BS shot here.

Hole 3

240 yards from the legend tee`s so I just cut back on the R11 3w , depends on wind conditions as well. If there is a tail wind I hit the 220yard TM 3iron full bs.

Hole 4 

Play safe on 2nd shot chip put yourself in a good spot to make sure of bird.

Hole 5

Can be tricky depending on hole location , the normal flag is behind the bunker at the back of the green if I have 180 yard shot in 2mph winds ill hit 190 yards full bs , then add or mins depending on wind.

Hole 6

Very important to hit the fairway here left with 80 yards , back hole location ill use my 105yard wedge select punch what is 87 yards , ill hit roughly 85 yards full bs & get 1 yard BS

Hole 7

Really does depend on the flag here. If the flag is behind the bunker put yourself in a good spot to make par. chip or flop shot from 20 - 25 yards. 

Hole 8 

legend tees front flag is 196 yards full bs 190 is perfect , back hole is 220 yards I hit 215 full Bs

Hole 9

Drive the bunkers , then left with a 140 yard shot 

• seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2011 4:16 PM

If only you had posted this a year ago, it would have saved me so many shots

RSS