Forums

Help › Forums

Re: putting

Sat, Jun 18 2011 6:44 PM (8 replies)
  • ouime
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 1:29 PM

is it just me, or is putting impossible? i can reach the greens easily enough then 3 put from 20 feet! can some-one help?

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Mon, Jun 13 2011 5:32 PM
  • TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2011 8:34 AM

JeffGooch:

Yes. Read that. 

Also, the most helpful suggestion I can give you is to learn how to adjust for the change in elevation. I honestly can stress how much this helps enough. 

I'm not sure the exact multiplier at tier, but on mine, all of my greens are set on Tournament, which I play to about 75% of the total distance. 

So if I have a 20' putt that is 4" uphill, I do the following. 20 feet (putt distance) + 4 feet (add 1 foot for ever inch of elevation change) = 24 feet * .75 = 18 feet. 

So I would want to hit that uphill 20 foot putt to go 18 feet on the meter. It's handy to have a calculator open while you're playing, or at least I always do. 

It's been so long since I've played on the Pro level greens, but I think the multiplier should be about .80 or .9 (for 80% or 90%), so adjust accordingly. 

Hope I helped. :)

-Will

• spike8888
    32 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2011 11:35 AM

I  play by FEEL i     guess thats why i three put!!     haha

• BenRC
    381 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:07 PM

TheLighterDark:

JeffGooch:

Yes. Read that. 

Also, the most helpful suggestion I can give you is to learn how to adjust for the change in elevation. I honestly can stress how much this helps enough. 

I'm not sure the exact multiplier at tier, but on mine, all of my greens are set on Tournament, which I play to about 75% of the total distance. 

So if I have a 20' putt that is 4" uphill, I do the following. 20 feet (putt distance) + 4 feet (add 1 foot for ever inch of elevation change) = 24 feet * .75 = 18 feet. 

So I would want to hit that uphill 20 foot putt to go 18 feet on the meter. It's handy to have a calculator open while you're playing, or at least I always do. 

It's been so long since I've played on the Pro level greens, but I think the multiplier should be about .80 or .9 (for 80% or 90%), so adjust accordingly. 

Hope I helped. :)

-Will

Thanks for that putting tip!.......I kinda figured as much but when you've been a feel putter  like I've been,its hard to break the habit and trust something new.It worked when I was a Tour Pro,but now that i turned Master, putting totally fell apart. Totally possible 30,31's and my goal of 29, are 35,36"s......appreciate the tip, gonna give it a go....Ben

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2011 8:09 PM

another way to deal with avatar movements is to simply change the multiplier.

Starter Putter  Fast Green  30 ft meter  5 movements = 6 ft per movement

Very Fast Green  30 ft meter  change 6 feet to 7 feet

Tournament Green   bump it up to 8 feet per movement

So in reality on a flat very fast green , if you used the full 30 ft meter, the ball would travel 35 feet.   Hopefully that made sense.   I still add or subtract the number of inches of rise or fall as feet on the meter 1st then count my movements. 

My main problem is break combined with timing.   Sometimes its easier to hit early or late ( not ding) for lesser breaking putts.  I usually combine the 2 for the bigger breakers and wind up overcompensating one way or the other.  Been playing 2 years and still dont have it all figured out.

Enjoy

• spike8888
    32 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2011 7:44 AM

Good tips guys..Do you move the marker to aim or just play the meter left or the right???

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2011 6:02 PM

the bigger the break, the more aim (moving the marker) is required.  Small breaks can be adjusted by hitting early or late of ding.

• spike8888
    32 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2011 6:44 PM

ok thaks ill try that...

RSS